Shudder at light throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any other developments? Mine is not going away, and is seeming to get worse at times. Trying to track down cause or at least how to replicate it consistently.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added last week and it helped. I still can feel some shudder but very rare. I recommend this over the shudder fixx

Denslow Burhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the 2011 Tahoe 5.3 2 months ago. Checked the fluid and even had a reputable big time transmission shop here in Portland Oregon look at the transmission fluid. They said it looks fresh. I also found out through a car fax type of vin search that the transmission fluid was just changed a month before I bought it. I don't see any brittle hoses or cracks in any vacuum lines..... I'm hoping it could be a bad throttle body or throttle body sensor or pedal sensor or dirty fuel injectors... It runs great wot and idles pretty smoothly....I do have a little slack on the driver's side cv axle...2 months of this wondering what it could be..... Is it the v4 mode that makes it shudder? I did have a 2004 z71 5.3 that was so smooth.... You would think GM would be at this point building off of that, making Tahoes as good or better nowadays.... Anyone help I'm getting sick of this shudder. I want to get a tune and some nice replicas, but not until this shudder is solved....I did replace with new ngk iridium's and MSD plug wires....

I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe PPV 2WD, 83k miles.....and I've been chasing this symptom as well. Specifically a misfire-type stumble/shudder under light load. Here's what I've done.

New plugs/coils/wires - All AC Delco
New throttle body - AC Delco
New transmission filter/fluid (Red Line D6), pan gasket (factory), and Lubegard (x2)
New lower valve body (in case spring 353 was broken/weak) w/updated reverse ball/orifice (factory)
Oil/filter service with Red Line 5w30
Range Technology V4 delete dongle

I've read all 10 pages of the thread and have accomplished much of the suggested work, and then some. I've eliminated a lot of possibilities and believe I can still do a couple more things -

Crankshaft position sensor
Fuel filter
Brake switch (though cruise control works fine)

Bigger repairs

Fuel injectors (replace)
Replace lifters, etc (AFM delete)

Any other suggestions short of complete driveline replacement? It's not throwing a Check Engine Light.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt read all 10 pages but it sounds like torque converter shudder or slippage. Try barely riding the brake pedal when it happes and see if it goes away.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe PPV 2WD, 83k miles.....and I've been chasing this symptom as well. Specifically a misfire-type stumble/shudder under light load. Here's what I've done.

New plugs/coils/wires - All AC Delco
New throttle body - AC Delco
New transmission filter/fluid (Red Line D6), pan gasket (factory), and Lubegard (x2)
New lower valve body (in case spring 353 was broken/weak) w/updated reverse ball/orifice (factory)
Oil/filter service with Red Line 5w30
Range Technology V4 delete dongle

I've read all 10 pages of the thread and have accomplished much of the suggested work, and then some. I've eliminated a lot of possibilities and believe I can still do a couple more things -

Crankshaft position sensor
Fuel filter
Brake switch (though cruise control works fine)

Bigger repairs

Fuel injectors (replace)
Replace lifters, etc (AFM delete)

Any other suggestions short of complete driveline replacement? It's not throwing a Check Engine Light.
maybe try replacing the MAF or swap it with a used one and see if there is any change, they run about $45 or $75 on rockauto depending on if you have the Delphi or the ac delco, you can just look at the number on it and replace it with the same one, they don't last forever, my experience is they start taking a dump around 160k give or take a little

Denslow Burhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe try replacing the MAF or swap it with a used one and see if there is any change, they run about $45 or $75 on rockauto depending on if you have the Delphi or the ac delco, you can just look at the number on it and replace it with the same one, they don't last forever, my experience is they start taking a dump around 160k give or take a little

I tried this. No change at all. I noticed the crank position sensor was soaked in oil. Replaced it. Didn't fix it. Granted many of the parts I've replaced should have corresponding codes, there are no codes - historical, permanent, etc - nothing. Leaning hard toward the transmission at this point. I spoke to the manager of the local AAMCO and we talked through what I've done, etc. He has a guy that does these transmissions exclusively - since these symptoms are so common. Is there a replacement overhauled/rebuilt transmission/company out there that is recommended for these 6L80's?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried this. No change at all. I noticed the crank position sensor was soaked in oil. Replaced it. Didn't fix it. Granted many of the parts I've replaced should have corresponding codes, there are no codes - historical, permanent, etc - nothing. Leaning hard toward the transmission at this point. I spoke to the manager of the local AAMCO and we talked through what I've done, etc. He has a guy that does these transmissions exclusively - since these symptoms are so common. Is there a replacement overhauled/rebuilt transmission/company out there that is recommended for these 6L80's?[/QUOTE
well these guys in general are pretty good, there warranty includes parts & labor, and you can get a no fault warranty option as well
I have purchased from them in the past, good experience

https://www.powertrainproducts.net/

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried this. No change at all. I noticed the crank position sensor was soaked in oil. Replaced it. Didn't fix it. Granted many of the parts I've replaced should have corresponding codes, there are no codes - historical, permanent, etc - nothing. Leaning hard toward the transmission at this point. I spoke to the manager of the local AAMCO and we talked through what I've done, etc. He has a guy that does these transmissions exclusively - since these symptoms are so common. Is there a replacement overhauled/rebuilt transmission/company out there that is recommended for these 6L80's?
well these guys in general are pretty good, there warranty includes parts & labor, and you can get a no fault warranty option as well
I have purchased from them in the past, good experience

https://www.powertrainproducts.net/

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

My brother went with a remanufactured unit from LKQ for his 2012 Silverado 6L80E.

They had the best price for the warranty offered.