Should I renew Onstar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Weber Dude

Weber Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. Didn't really know if it was worth it since I never used it in the first place, not even on my Silverado. My phone does everything I need. I do like the wifi for the kiddos so they can use their wifi devices that have no data plan.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume it would be cheaper to get more data on your cell plan and just hotspot from there.

OP
OP
Weber Dude

Weber Dude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume it would be cheaper to get more data on your cell plan and just hotspot from there.

Yes it would be but my company pays for my phone which I also use as my personal phone. I figure Its cheaper for me to buy the data than to pay for my own phone and phone plan. Otherwise, yes, I'd just use my phone as a hot spot which I do when driving the other vehicle that doesn't have this feature.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it would be but my company pays for my phone which I also use as my personal phone. I figure Its cheaper for me to buy the data than to pay for my own phone and phone plan. Otherwise, yes, I'd just use my phone as a hot spot which I do when driving the other vehicle that doesn't have this feature.
If that is the case then yes, yes it is cheaper but have you looked into a mobile hotspot that most phone carriers carry? It may not be cheaper but should be vs. buying onstar and data.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason I've been considering a data plan with onstar is because (I assume) it's using their satellite network. I travel out of terrestrial coverage areas frequently and this would be great to have...

Beyond that, it's really just the crash and security tracker Id want...

Sent from my DynaTac8000 using Tapatalk

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I've been considering a data plan with onstar is because (I assume) it's using their satellite network. I travel out of terrestrial coverage areas frequently and this would be great to have...

Beyond that, it's really just the crash and security tracker Id want...

It is through AT&T I believe so I doubt it is any better than having a hotspot through them, I could be incorrect though.

Demer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is through AT&T I believe so I doubt it is any better than having a hotspot through them, I could be incorrect though.
Correct. My 3 month trial ended a few months ago and it just rolled onto my current AT&T wireless plan.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. So much for that then! I'll just get a Verizon hot spot. Wonder if any of the ports kill power when truck is off so I don't need to remember to unplug it if I want to hide it away....

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The AC port does, not sure how the Verizon receive power though.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct. My 3 month trial ended a few months ago and it just rolled onto my current AT&T wireless plan.
Only time I wish I had AT&T, lol. Supposedly, from what I read, they're talking about opening it up to other carriers but it would be awhile away yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons