Should I be able to "hear" the speedo stepper motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy529

Reaction score
I've only had my '04 Yukon Denali a few months and have noticed a few odd (to me) sounds.

There is a "whirring" noise from the cluster that only occurs when moving. It goes up and down, in pitch, seemingly with speed. Research would indicate a speedometer stepper motor.

Should it BE audible or is it failing? It doesn't stick or jump.

Also, there is a very audible whistle(?) from front windshield. Is that normal? It's never been replaced and the rubber looks fine. Doesn't leak in the rain either.

Probably a stupid question but, who knows, maybe these were prone to wind whistles?

This is my first used vehicle, not sure I'm liking it. Anybody wanna buy an '04 full load Denali with 60,000 miles?
Semi joking.

EDIT: Also, there is a vibration\resonance noise at 1300 r.p.m. Only at that r.p.m..
Muffler shop couldn't find it. Said I'd have to live with it. 1300 r.p.m. is exactly where it is at when driving in town. Making me absolutely BONKERS!

Last edited:

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know on my 04 Yukon Xl that right after I replaced the stepper motors I noticed more noise from them. I'm not sure if I just didn't pay attention to it before or the new ones were louder. I don't notice it anymore though.

jaxman7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This may sound odd but do you have a bug deflector on your hood? If so take it off and see if the whistling stops. Can't help you with the other.

-Jax

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan