Shot First, Now Aiming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to replace my '04 Suburban (Salvage title, falling apart), and I've been looking at Hybrids for a very long time. My first choice was a Highlander Hybrid, but when I found a $10500 HyHoe, I bit. Interior is premium, a few bumps and scratches on the outside, but overall in excellent condition.

I've already made a BUNCH of rookie mistakes for which I am ashamed. If you would like to mock me, they include: Buying a Cabin Air Filter (Why would Amazon tell me it fits, when NO Hoe's 07-14 use them at all?). Buying a small-bulb LED kit (idea wasn't bad, but I ended up spending $50 for something on Amazon that I could have bought on eBay for $12)... Among other small stupid stuff.

The vehicle runs real well, and I'm averaging about 19.1 MPG. I was hoping for about 1 more, but don't think it's worth servicing the ESS until it drops to around 15.

I have some common issues - ie: passenger seat warmer switch is inop, rear right lock makes the occasional noise, but still functions, occasional jerk and surge when transitioning from AutoStop, but not horrible.

So here are the questions that I have:

1) Is there a way to identify and replace ONLY bad cells in the ESS?
2) Has anyone replaced the Storm Trooper front bumper cover with a traditional Hoe bumper cover, complete with foglights?
3) Anything else I should know?

It has about 125,000 miles on it, but the interior looks GREAT and it is a VERY smooth ride. And, yes, even though the 3rd row ain't like it's Burb cousins, it's a lot easier than the Highlander to sit in.

Redneckognize

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're not alone. Everything I've read says they stopped put Carib in air filters in yukons and Tahoe on/after '07. However, I bought one online that says it's for my 2011 Yukon and it has written and pictorial (photos, actually) instructions on how to get to the filter, "cut" into the housing, and, I guess, replace what would otherwise be a permanent filter with this new one. Specifically, you take a utility knife and cut into a groove along the lower end of the filter housing. It appears to be the same location where pre 2007 vehicles had a long, narrow access panel. After you replace the filter, you glue, tape, or seal the lower/bottom-piece back on. I was incredulous, but the instructions DO have a lot of photos showing how to do it.

I have started, but I find it incredibly difficult to cut through (within a long groove) it with a knife. Seriously, it's a terrible design if there really is filter in there.

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Don't feel so bad...I figured it was almost time to change my Cabin Air Filter and when at the dealer for service I went into the parts department and said I probably should replace mine. The Dealer Parts Dept. sold me a new cabin air filter. A month later I decided to finally replace it and realized it has a permanent filter! Arrgghh! I still have that new in the package filter waiting for me to return to that dealer 1200 miles away.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
There is a kit from Dorman that comes with a carbon filter and the door and screw to replace where you cut the slot open. The receiver for the screw to hold it on its already molded into your truck. Takes 15 minutes to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC