Shock advice please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shock guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings!
I.recently purchased a 2005 yukon xl denali. It will be our daily driver and my mechanic says that it will be needing new shocks.
I've been looking around on the forums to see what I should replace the oem suspension with.
Bilstein shocks seem to be very well liked on here.
I'll be towing our boat that weighs around 5,000 lbs.....
What should I install on this thing?

OP
OP
S

Shock guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the imput!
I called bilstein and they told me that they do not offer any shocks for my awd yukon xl denali. .....
I see that people are installing them anyway so should I install the 4600 or rhe 5100 series,
One of the members on here switched springs as well.....I like the air bag idea as well......any more thoughts and ideas are welcome! Thanks again!

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My stock springs were fine with the bags busted. It even towed well. So when I pulled them off I went to 4600s. I had already deleted the electronic feature on the stock shocks....I felt they were too harsh sometimes but not all the time, being as how they were computer controlled I disconnected them and the ride went to full soft which i prefer. The 4600s got the truck back under control, which the old stock shocks were having trouble doing.

OP
OP
S

Shock guy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Keepingin mind that I'm brand new to this.....what do I need to do with the truck in regards to the computer once I install the 4600 shocks?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you aware that you have autoride and it has self levelling capabilities? Would you like to keep that? (costs more) or go to a traditional spring and shock setup?

If you want to keep stock ride height and soft ride and delete autoride then MOOG 81071's and bilstein 4600hd's for a tahoe without autoride is all you really need. If you ened extra towing support (sounds like it) then the airride helper bags will help and you can manually fill those to level out the truck under load.

disconnect battery pull the 30amp RTD fuse reconnect battery and your service suspension message will go away.

pizzle

Reaction score
Are you aware that you have autoride and it has self levelling capabilities? Would you like to keep that? (costs more) or go to a traditional spring and shock setup?

If you want to keep stock ride height and soft ride and delete autoride then MOOG 81071's and bilstein 4600hd's for a tahoe without autoride is all you really need. If you ened extra towing support (sounds like it) then the airride helper bags will help and you can manually fill those to level out the truck under load.

disconnect battery pull the 30amp RTD fuse reconnect battery and your service suspension message will go away.

this is what im doing. So its just a matter of pulling a fuse to get ride of the message?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu