Shark fin leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

finston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,
My 15 Denali shark fin started leaking a little. GPS, compass, and on star no longer work. I went ahead and sealed around it for now. I’m out of warranty in this truck. Is there one route better than another to get this fixed?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it off and silicon underneath real good and re-install.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take it off and silicon underneath real good and re-install.

These suggestions above will take care of the leak, which you mentioned you’ve temporarily taken care of. As for why your GPS, Compass and On-Star is not working, you will need to look at the wire harness/connection to make sure you don’t have any water damage.

Not familiar with the 2015 body style but on the 2007-2014 units, if you have a sunroof you can relatively easily get to the harness by taking off the trim around the sunroof and reaching above the headliner.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go to the dealer for a new antenna. I had them replaced on my 16 and 17 Suburbans. The current design is revised so that there won’t be a leak. And on the 16 Suburban, the problem was with reception (no leak).

OP
OP
finston

finston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can I purchase the antenna myself? What is involved in removing and installing? I think somewhere I read the headliner has to come off. If I were to take it to a mechanic, any idea how many hours it would be?

Thanks,
Jason

Geojarn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This happened to me, but no leak, just no gps or on star. I bought a new antenna on rock auto, easy replace. Just remove a pillar cover, assist handle, center console and pull down headliner driver corner, I used paper towel roll to keep it down for enough room to work. 10mm socket to remove and reinstall antenna nut.

Jason101

Reaction score
I had this exact issue. Its a known issue by Chevy and they replaced it under warranty with one that has a better gasket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seeker