Shake and steering problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Tiffani371

Did you sort out the problem? I don't know if you like to turn wrenches but you can remove the steering stabilizer & test drive. If I understand you correctly, when making steering adjustments it feels like the wheels get stuck in the new direction that you put it to? The steering linkage is too tight somewhere. You need to find somebody to help you & 1 person turns the steering wheel from lock-to- lock while the 2nd person is underneath the front examining the steering linkage. Once underneath, get your hand on the steering gearbox and the pitman arm. It should be easy to see if that or the idler arm has excessive clearance in the tapered bore and the arm doesn't have enough clearance to move freely of the gearbox (pitman) or the idler & frame assembly adjacent to that. Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. If the linkage checks out you will have to move under the hood and inspect the intermediate shafts from the gearbox up through the firewall to the bearing at the bottom of the steering column. That's probably what the problem is if you hear knocking down below your knees. The steering shaft & bearing are worn out & both should be replaced.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also have that alignment double checked. Especially the Caster angles. Caster doesn’t effect tire wear but it most definitely will give you symptoms like your having. Just think of a chopper style motorcycle how it has its front tire stretch out or the front wheels of a shopping cart. If your caster is off, when you start to turn the wheel it will continue to go in that direction, tires kind of ‘fall’ that way. Especially so with over sized heavier tires. Ever notice those shopping cart wheels that flutter back and fourth real bad. That could POSSIBLY be what’s happening with your rig.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tiffani371

Tiffani371

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry it's been awhile. I haven't messed with it this entire month but after the 1st of the year I'm going to get back to messing around with it to see if I can't try what you guys have said. Also can anyone answer how much movement if any you're supposed to have when shaking the front tire at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions? Driver side doesn't move but I've got some slop in the passenger side. Don't know if it's something worn for sure or supposed to have some slop.

Duramax05blk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 Denali had really "Floating steering" as well. I also do not have a stabilizer. There deff is a sensor its higher on the column i believe it was at the first knuckle. I have only driven about 10 miles since i replaced it. It doesn't feel different from what i could tell but, i also think i damaged it on the install. I also have brand new idler box, Idler, Pitman arm, Tie rods with sleeves.
So unfortunately i cant say if it fixed my issue but i can confirm 03 Denalis have the sensor on the steering column.