service suspension system? really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chefkulp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a beautiful 2007 Yukon XL Denali that I am totally in love with. We have had it since last August. We purchased the extended warranty.

About 4 months ago, we had to replace the passengers side shock and tire because the shock had "blown" and in turn ruined the tire. The dealer said it was a "wear issue" and that it would not be covered under warranty. They said I must've hit a hole. I can't imagine hitting something in that monster of a vehicle hard enough to blow the shock without knowing it but...it was what it was. They weren't budging.

Now my Service Suspension System indicator is illuminating sporadically and I am worried. I called OnStar and they said it was safe to drive here and there but to take it in for service. We're down a 2nd vehicle this week so it will have to wait. I'm worried that it's the shock/shocks again and that it won't be covered.

Any insight???

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a front autoride shock fail last year -- and that's on an '09. So, I wouldn't doubt that that's what going on here. But, if it IS the other shock, then it sounds like you have some cause to say that now you have circumstantial evidence that the shocks failed with TIME, and not from something you did, since the other one [may have] failed shortly after the first one.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally think the autoride shocks have a flaw or are of horrendous quality. Every Escalade I looked at when I was buying had the front shocks changed at least once and many twice in their service history and these were vehicles with 50k mi or less. I know when mine go again (they were replaced by the previous owner), I will be using bilsteins and forgoing the whole Magnetic ride crap. Mine are starting to show signs of leaking so wont be long.
Sorry to hear about your probs...you are definitely safe to drive on that for a while (if the shocks are the problem) but looks like they will need to be changed again. Shocks are always a 'wear and tear' item with respect to warranty, even though IMO they wear and tear too quickly.

mattah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that Quattroman, we have an 08 esky and that has had zero problems with the susp.

The Denali we have replaced the shocks twice. Once under warranty at 46k and then at 94k. The one at 94k was out of pocket but it wasn't bad as my dealer only charged me 330 for both front shocks and 60 for install. The first time they replaced it they said the shock was leaking.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that Quattroman, we have an 08 esky and that has had zero problems with the susp.

Uh oh... Better check your shocks when you get home now. You probably just put the maloik on 'em!

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Denali we have replaced the shocks twice. Once under warranty at 46k and then at 94k. The one at 94k was out of pocket but it wasn't bad as my dealer only charged me 330 for both front shocks and 60 for install. The first time they replaced it they said the shock was leaking.

To be fair, almost all the ones I looked at had the factory 22" wheels which will put more stress on the suspension...but ya, it's weird... I looked at probably 20 escalades over 3 months...every single one had the front shocks done in their history.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shocks didn't go out but around October of last year I started hearing this horrid squeaking noise while I was driving. I posted on here and some thought it was one of the wheels hubs but turns out it was the upper part of one of the front shocks. Once I got it replaced the noise went away.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chefkulp,

I'm sorry to hear of the Service Suspension issue with your Yukon vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon