Service Stability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the message "service stability" almost immediately after startup, within the first mile of driving... Everything seems fine, the only "issue" I notice is a "whine" from the engine/front end when gas is applied to gas pedal, let off gas, whine stops, any gas whine is back... not real bad, just noticable.
Any clue as to why my service stability is on?

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That message has plagued me since I bought my 2003 Yukon. Not sure if I've noticed a whining sound from the front end, but I'll listen next time I drive it. I bought some fancy scanner and it had a code C0131 which seems to indicate replacing the computer on the ABS pump. Since I've noticed no ill effects other than the stupid message on the cluster, I've started to just live with it.

Please update the post if you figure it out!

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine almost sounds like tire noise, but not on deceleration, only during acceleration, even slight acceleration.... and mine too is a 2003 yukon.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine almost sounds like tire noise, but not on deceleration, only during acceleration, even slight acceleration.... and mine too is a 2003 yukon.

Do you think you could have a bad wheel hub? I have read that they go bad frequently. I replaced my entire suspension up front last month, and replaced the hubs when I did that as a preventative measure.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no clue.
Everything "feels" fine.
I don't really know what all the 'stability' system uses or what would make it display the message... I would replace it if I had an idea what to replace. A bent or warped rotor, seems like it would be noticeable during braking... ?

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, hmmmm, yea, looked it up, the hub is different than I envisioned, separate from the rotor.... hmmmm...

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "teeth" inside the hub give the computer an electrical signal. As the inside of the hub forms some rust, the signal is degraded and is interpreted as a fault to the stabilization or the ABS or both. None are detrimental but a degradation in integrity. Usually hub replacement cures it.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "teeth" inside the hub give the computer an electrical signal. As the inside of the hub forms some rust, the signal is degraded and is interpreted as a fault to the stabilization or the ABS or both. None are detrimental but a degradation in integrity. Usually hub replacement cures it.
2003 doesnt have the tooth ring on the CV halfshaft for the pickup for ABS to read.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, hmmmm, yea, looked it up, the hub is different than I envisioned, separate from the rotor.... hmmmm...
To check a hub, raise tire just enough to not touch the ground. Grab it at 12 and 6 oclock and rock inward and outward and you will feel play in the hub if it is bad. Grabbing it at 9 and 3 oclock checks the tie rod, idler and pitman arm for play.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "teeth" are inside the hub! To verify you have this type of hub: there is a wire coming out of the hub.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doc52