Service Stability Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Since I have owned my 2003 Yukon (about a year), the Service Stability message comes on the dash. No other lights or messages, and driveability seems unaffected.

My car has brand new front hubs (so new front ABS sensors), new rear sensors, new steering wheel position sensor, and nothing has solved the message. I even pulled an EBCM from an Escalade from the same year and the message remained (and I got an ABS light, as well with it).

I have held down the traction control button for like 30 seconds because I heard that would disable the system, but that did not do anything.

I have seen a few threads about this issue, but never with a resolution.

Has anyone had this issue and actually resolved it?

I have dropped about $3000 into the Yukon this year in parts, and have it nearly perfect inside and out, driving and riding... Except for this message that I cannot shake.

Would a Tech2 help me at all? I am not beyond buying one just to solve this issue (unless someone in my area has one and is willing to let me connect it). Could the stability system be disabled completely with it?

I am almost ready to take the Yukon to the dealership, which is against everything that I stand for.

I welcome any help with this issue... It would be so nice to get my Yukon absolutely perfect.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tech2 cannot disable it but it can help you test components and troubleshoot and check internal codes. I once replaced a hub with a brand new one from China and while the fit and finish of the hub and bearing were fine, the ABS sensor was bad from the beginning. We use Timken hubs now.

Do these trucks have that brake switch above the pedals like on the GMT900s?

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tech2 cannot disable it but it can help you test components and troubleshoot and check internal codes. I once replaced a hub with a brand new one from China and while the fit and finish of the hub and bearing were fine, the ABS sensor was bad from the beginning. We use Timken hubs now.

Do these trucks have that brake switch above the pedals like on the GMT900s?

Thanks for the hint on the hubs... The Yukon had its original hubs when I bought it (and still had that message). I replaced the hubs because of a concern of the ABS sensors causing the message (and since the truck had 155k), but no change.

These do have brake pedal switches, but my brake lights work. Could that still be part of the problem?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the abs unit is faulty it may be a cause also, you wouldn't get a abs light unless there is a abs problem, my abs unit started out intermittent and then would come on at any tiny bump, what happens is over time the solder comes loose on the connections inside and it looses a signal and throws a code, there a ***** to get in and out unless your lucky, there held in a tight spot under the drivers seat area under the truck with allen nuts, I was unlucky and ended up with a stripped screw and it had to be cut out., they can usually be repaired rather than paying some stupendous price for a new one (a replacement has to be the exact same part). at any rate it's just something to consider but you should hook up a good scanner and see what is causing the problem.

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the abs unit is faulty it may be a cause also, you wouldn't get a abs light unless there is a abs problem, my abs unit started out intermittent and then would come on at any tiny bump, what happens is over time the solder comes loose on the connections inside and it looses a signal and throws a code, there a ***** to get in and out unless your lucky, there held in a tight spot under the drivers seat area under the truck with allen nuts, I was unlucky and ended up with a stripped screw and it had to be cut out., they can usually be repaired rather than paying some stupendous price for a new one (a replacement has to be the exact same part). at any rate it's just something to consider but you should hook up a good scanner and see what is causing the problem.

By ABS module, do you mean the electronic brake control modulator (EBCM)? I had mentioned replacing that with an Escalade one in my original post, but unfortunately that did not resolve the issue. I had heard about them having bad solder joints (like instrument clusters, rear view mirrors, etc), but could not for the life of me figure out how to split it open to resolder the board. Mine seems to be different than every one I have seen on the YouTube videos. Perhaps I need to remove it again and reinvestigate how to split that thing open.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The actual ABS pump. Not the controller.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the abs controller is a whole different animal, you can do it if you are good at soldering otherwise your wasting your time, I sent mine to be repaired the repair failed, pulled one from the junkyard and it was bad out the gate, cracked it open (very carefully) and took it to a local tv repair shop and had him reflow the whole thing, worked like a charm. I cant solder for shit even with a great soldering iron. I can solder big stuff ok but nothing small it just makes it worse, lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you do repair it yourself be sure to seal it back up real good since it is exposed to the elements under the truck.

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the abs controller is a whole different animal, you can do it if you are good at soldering otherwise your wasting your time, I sent mine to be repaired the repair failed, pulled one from the junkyard and it was bad out the gate, cracked it open (very carefully) and took it to a local tv repair shop and had him reflow the whole thing, worked like a charm. I cant solder for shit even with a great soldering iron. I can solder big stuff ok but nothing small it just makes it worse, lol
OK, thanks... I figured we were talking about the same thing.

Yeah, I've been a ham radio operator for over 30 years now, so I've got done time on a soldering iron [emoji854] If I could only get the darn thing open!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did it come off from underneath drivers seat area under the truck?
if so then you just have to take the bottom screws out and use a razor blade or good box knife and just keep going around the edges of the top, it's tough and it takes a while and you have to be careful there is board inside there.
this guy pretty much lays it out on how it is done, your abs module will differ a bit but it is the same procedure for any.