"Service Air Bag" message & lite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowBuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread on this. Took it to the GMC Dealer. X-pens-ive !!! Anyone ever replace a front impact sensor??? For $777 I said I'd take theirs out and melt it down just for the gold!!!!!! LOL

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOLY COW! Almost $800 to unscrew one bolt and unplug one plug... I'm in the wrong busines!

Super simple install, bought mine from Rockauto.com. They are up behind the bumper, you can see them when you lay under the front and look up, there is one on each side.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don`t know how stealerships get away with that crap. There are a few you tube videos on how to change them, Like countryboy said it`s a real simple job that should take about 10-15 minutes just disconnect the battery before you start the job.

I replaced mine with dorman parts and haven`t had a problem in a few years since i changed them.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get them from salvage yards on ebay and car-parts.com. Cheap and easy swap out.

Wait did you say GOLD? Theres gold there in them there things?

Filthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just curious to know, how you knew it was the front impact sensor triggering your airbag light? My 05' Z71 has the service air bag light on, and was not sure how to designate which sensor was faulty. If I took it to an oreillys/autozone etc...would they be able to diagnose which sensor is faulty by using the OBDII scanner?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Service Airbag Light was on, but did not do a scan. Plugged the new sensor in on one side and it didn't clear the light. Took it out and plugged it into the other side and that solved the issue. Dorman part from Amazon IIRC and haven't had any dash light issues since. Satisfaction, a fraction of the cost and a few minutes of your time. Stealerships....sheesh.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know, how you knew it was the front impact sensor triggering your airbag light? My 05' Z71 has the service air bag light on, and was not sure how to designate which sensor was faulty. If I took it to an oreillys/autozone etc...would they be able to diagnose which sensor is faulty by using the OBDII scanner?
Most generic (low cost) scanners will NOT access the SRS computer data. You will need a GM Tech 2, Higher end handheld unit or possibly a app for your phone is available.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend bought a 05 Tahoe with the service air bag light on. The seller didn't want to replace sensor because of the dealer cost to do so.
I told my friend I wouldn't work on the truck, which was in great shape otherwise, until the issue was fixed.
Suspecting it was the front sensor from reading this forum, but not sure which one, I bought 2 Dorman sensors off Amazon, $130. Replaced in 30 mins, most of which was putting the truck on the lift.
Problem solved, $400 saved from dealer cost.

easterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did the same. Wasn't sure which sensor it was, and figured the one not replaced would go soon also. 30 mins with the kids on Father's Day. Dealership charge is ridiculous. Although, an independent mechanic quoted the Denali's hydro booster at $489 for just the part, which I found on amazon for 165 with the rebate. So, the dealership isn't the only unvelievable one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne