"Service 4wd" and "Traction Control" lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nath

Reaction score
Hello All I have a 2007 Chevrolet tahoe 4wd that is lifted 4" and running 315/70/17 Warden All terrains and about 10 months ago the "Service 4wd" and "Service Traction Control" messages are flashing. I had it all checked by my reg mechanic and they said no problem other than the Four wheel drive will not work. THeir scan tool said that "lost connection to transfer case" They said its safe to drive so I have just been driving it. I really would like to fix it if I can without taking it to the Stealership. Any help would be appreciated.
Nath

mpetrone17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I currently have the same issue on my 2005 GMC Yukon XL 1500 with about 170k. 1st time its ever happened. I was getting the "service 4wd" light for a few days and now getting the service stability control. My traction control light comes on and then no lights on the 4wd panel. Truck drives normal, i just did a 3 hr round trip last night and actually on the way home none of the service lights came on. Kinda strange but winter time is approaching and I would like to get the issue resolved. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
nath

nath

Reaction score
I currently have the same issue on my 2005 GMC Yukon XL 1500 with about 170k. 1st time its ever happened. I was getting the "service 4wd" light for a few days and now getting the service stability control. My traction control light comes on and then no lights on the 4wd panel. Truck drives normal, i just did a 3 hr round trip last night and actually on the way home none of the service lights came on. Kinda strange but winter time is approaching and I would like to get the issue resolved. Any ideas?

Mpetrone17
I fixed my problem!!!! Last night I cannot believe it!!! it only took about 5 mins with a flathead screw driver and a flashlight!!!!!
FIxed by simply replacing the brake switch under the dash. follow the brake pedal up the shaft towards the top is a black plastic module that is held to the brake pedal shaft by a clip. With a flat head screw driver I just popped the clip and unhooked the wire harness to it and took it to Autozone and for 22 dollars I replaced it in less than 5 min and all of the notifications are gone and my 4WD switch lights up again. I know it sounds crazy and I had read were folks were getting Transfer cases replaced and all other forms of craziness to the tune of 900 to 1200 dollars. Well I am so relived and a true weight has been lifted off. I was ready to sell this sucker because the Mechanic I took it to said all the Wheel sensors were connected and good and I told him I read on Internet that the Brake Switch Module goes bad and throws this warnings and he said no way that could cause it.... well guess what he is WRONG go to Youtube an search replace Brake Switch Module and it shows you how to do it !!!

Heres to many more miles with me and my hoe!!!!!
WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!
Nath

mpetrone17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mpetrone17
I fixed my problem!!!! Last night I cannot believe it!!! it only took about 5 mins with a flathead screw driver and a flashlight!!!!!
FIxed by simply replacing the brake switch under the dash. follow the brake pedal up the shaft towards the top is a black plastic module that is held to the brake pedal shaft by a clip. With a flat head screw driver I just popped the clip and unhooked the wire harness to it and took it to Autozone and for 22 dollars I replaced it in less than 5 min and all of the notifications are gone and my 4WD switch lights up again. I know it sounds crazy and I had read were folks were getting Transfer cases replaced and all other forms of craziness to the tune of 900 to 1200 dollars. Well I am so relived and a true weight has been lifted off. I was ready to sell this sucker because the Mechanic I took it to said all the Wheel sensors were connected and good and I told him I read on Internet that the Brake Switch Module goes bad and throws this warnings and he said no way that could cause it.... well guess what he is WRONG go to Youtube an search replace Brake Switch Module and it shows you how to do it !!!

Heres to many more miles with me and my hoe!!!!!
WOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!
Nath
Thats awesome news man. Im glad you got it to work out. Heck, for $22 i will give that a shot this week. Appreciate the insight and I will let you know how it turns out.

mpetrone17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I had a diagnostic done and came back that the encoder motor is bad. This is something I can replace myself but wondering if anyone knows the sequence in order to put the transfer case motor into "N".

OP
OP
nath

nath

Reaction score
So I had a diagnostic done and came back that the encoder motor is bad. This is something I can replace myself but wondering if anyone knows the sequence in order to put the transfer case motor into "N".

Yeah Man if you got the same symptoms I do I would replace this Brake Switch first... I had mine scanned and it came back "Computer lost contact with Transfer Case"... They (mechanic shop) said the dealer would probably start by changing the Transfer case Module, then Transfer Case, etc.. I was like no way... So I started with the Brake switch and it fixed it. It may be bad advice Mpetrone but I would start with the Brake Switch and then my plan was to move to the wheel sensors, but this fixed it!!! I think its worth a try.
Nath

mpetrone17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replaces transfer case encoder motor and now 4wd switch is lit up in nuetral. Any idea hoe to reprogram or relearn the transfer case module.

OP
OP
nath

nath

Reaction score
man i think u would have to have dealer do that but others may know for sure

mpetrone17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
man i think u would have to have dealer do that but others may know for sure
Hey, I got it all figured out. I had to put it in "N" and thrn shift to 2hi. Once o got that figured out, the shift motor went back on fine and everything is working as normal again.

Appreciate the help.

wrekone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, @nath !! I was having these same symptoms on my '04 Yukon XL that I just bought that day. I took out the brake switch and I didn't even have to replace it. I pulled the brake switch open and saw that two of the contacts had come out of alignment. I realigned them and reinstalled it, now 4-Lo and Stabilitrak are working again! I'm glad I tried this first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt