Second Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, haha. Yeah, I guess maybe so. I've got it pretty hidden for the most part, so it's not fancy.

I'll see if I can find some pics to post up. Running Image Dynamics HLCD's under the dash, which is about all you can see. After going through many iterations in the doors, I ran Exodus Audio Anarchys, then CDT ES-06+, both in in-door fiberglass pods (hidden behind the doorpanels), now have gone with the massive midbass setup with 2 Stereo Integrity TM65 mkII midbasses per door.

Zapco Z150.6 for the front stage (behind left rear trim panel), Zapco ZX6.5kd for sub duty (under center console, with a 5F Stinger cap).

Have 2 sub setups. 2 12" TC Sounds TC9s in a ~3.2 or so ported box that fits completely hidden behind the 3rd row seats for when I have the family riding. Big box essentially butts up to the 2nd row seats and runs to the back, just under the window line with 3 JBL W15GTi mkIIs. This is for being stupid loud. lol

I made a custom quick-disconnect cable for the smaller box to be able to swap it in and out while hot with no chance of shorts.

Processor right now is a MiniDSP C-DSP 6x8, which replaced a Zapco Z8 unit a few months back.

crx88ia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There's plenty of space in that trim panel.

Running a 15k watt burp amplifier is no joke. Been a while since I heard my eyes go blurry. Does it do hair tricks?

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's plenty of space in that trim panel.

Running a 15k watt burp amplifier is no joke. Been a while since I heard my eyes go blurry. Does it do hair tricks?

Nah, never tried it. Just too much airspace in a Tahoe. If I built a wall, maybe. But I haven't ever really pushed it, just that I commute 3 hours a day, so I like to have alot on tap, even if I don't utilize it.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents, this is great, but you have to remember some basics.

1. When you do this, you have to replace all of the batteries at the same time, and they have to all be the same.

2. What is your real objective? Jump Start yourself? Be able to parallel yourself for running a winch or other heavy load?

3. Do not go cheap on the cable. If you do, your going to have other problems.

4. I have been running dual batteries for years and years. Back to the 80's.

5. If you are doing this on a diesel, it's a lot different than gas. Diesels is stock, becasue you need more than one battery for the CCA's to turn the engine over.

When you figure out why, make sure you have an alternator that can recharge you.

Jus tome things to thin about....

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents, this is great, but you have to remember some basics.

1. When you do this, you have to replace all of the batteries at the same time, and they have to all be the same.

No, that's only true if you are hooking up batteries in series or if they will be connected to each other all the time (i.e. with no isolator.) If you're running an isolator like I am you can have different batteries at each end (obviously of the same voltage) although it helps if they're both the same type (FLA, AGM, gel) since each of these battery types has a different charging profile.

In my case, my starter battery is a Deka 55ah AGM and my house battery is a 68ah X2 (which I think is a NorthStar, but not sure) also an AGM. The only time my batteries are connected is when the ignition is on, once the ignition is off my house battery is isolated from the starter battery. That lets me run a refrigerator (Truckfridge TF-41, 41 quart) in my truck without having to worry about discharging the starter battery and being stuck.

On our trailer, I am running 2 x 6v golf cart batteries (connected in series to give me 12v.) In that case, yes, I made sure the batteries were identical, purchased at the same time and same place, since my two batteries are, in essence, forming one BIG battery (230ah of capacity.)

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, that's only true if you are hooking up batteries in series or if they will be connected to each other all the time (i.e. with no isolator.) If you're running an isolator like I am you can have different batteries at each end (obviously of the same voltage) although it helps if they're both the same type (FLA, AGM, gel) since each of these battery types has a different charging profile.

In my case, my starter battery is a Deka 55ah AGM and my house battery is a 68ah X2 (which I think is a NorthStar, but not sure) also an AGM. The only time my batteries are connected is when the ignition is on, once the ignition is off my house battery is isolated from the starter battery. That lets me run a refrigerator (Truckfridge TF-41, 41 quart) in my truck without having to worry about discharging the starter battery and being stuck.

On our trailer, I am running 2 x 6v golf cart batteries (connected in series to give me 12v.) In that case, yes, I made sure the batteries were identical, purchased at the same time and same place, since my two batteries are, in essence, forming one BIG battery (230ah of capacity.)

Sorry, but have to disagree. I run my with an isolator. Yes, parallel you also do, reason is simple, is you are isolating for specific reasons. I isolate so I can jump start my self. It premature fails them. My Interstate Dealer who sell's me batteries whole sale informed me. (I have three boats.) I buy more batteries than Wal-mart. With the boat that has diesel, you parallel just so you have enough CCA's to turn over. I have tried to do it without matching with an Isolater, and I can isolate on the Diesel Boat, it has twins, so I have several banks, and they still kill each other.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but have to disagree. I run my with an isolator. Yes, parallel you also do, reason is simple, is you are isolating for specific reasons. I isolate so I can jump start my self. It premature fails them. My Interstate Dealer who sell's me batteries whole sale informed me. (I have three boats.) I buy more batteries than Wal-mart. With the boat that has diesel, you parallel just so you have enough CCA's to turn over. I have tried to do it without matching with an Isolater, and I can isolate on the Diesel Boat, it has twins, so I have several banks, and they still kill each other.

Been running with my setup for over a year and 15,000 miles now. Both batteries are running strong, no issues.

I think we're talking apples and oranges here. Your setup uses multiple batteries so that you have enough amps to do the work required. In essence, you are using multiple batteries hooked together in parallel so as to make up one big "Super battery." In a case like that, I agree, the batteries need to be the same make, model, size, amp rating and age.

My setup is not like that. My batteries do different work for different purposes. My main battery is the starter battery and runs my truck. My house battery only runs the 12v power outlet I installed in the left rear fender cover in the cargo area to run my fridge. The only time the batteries are connected is when the ignition is on and when the ignition is on, the engine is running and both batteries are being charged by the alternator. The only time the batteries are connected they are being charged. Once I shut off the ignition the batteries aren't connected to each other anymore.

If I was in the habit of leaving my ignition on (and thus the batteries connected) when the engine was not running, then yes I agree, the smaller battery would kill the bigger one. But I don't do that - as I said, if my ignition is on, my engine is running and therefore the alternator is running and charging both batteries.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those using an isolator, how did you connect the larger gauge wire (in my case 2 gauge) to the main battery that is side post? I know the top posts have those nice adapters that split off nicely but I'm having trouble finding something like that for side post.