Second Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever mounted a second battery in the engine bay? I noticed one might fit on the passenger side by the firewall and A/C. I had a second battery mounted in the stock location on my 97 Tahoe (was there for the diesel option) to run my stereo setup and wanted to do the same thing now on my 06 Z71.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this some time ago... now I want to upgrade that battery to a Group 31 AGM battery, if possible, as well as add another, 3rd battery, also a Group 31 AGM. Main battery is for the truck off of one 145A alternator, other 2 batteries for my stereo off a 2nd 300A alternator.

I was thinking I saw some years back where someone removed their air intake box, put on a shortened aftermarket one and put a 3rd battery in place there. I can't remember where I saw it. I'll need to find some larger trays than the one above, which I already have, but won't fit a Group 31 battery. I see a lot of plastic ones out there, but to support a 70+ lb battery under the hood, it's going to have to be solid.

I'm open to ideas, if anyone has any.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fyi nnbs come stock batt back by the a/c i put my second up front where nbs stock loc is. Not too much of a diff in the teo trucks.... you jst have to get a tray for back there...

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, I ended up putting in an Odyssey 34/78 AGM battery in the 2nd location near the passenger firewall. That thing is a beast.

I've separated all my audio electrical from the truck's system (except the headunit) and all my electrical troubles are gone. Love it. I've got 3 alts, one stock 145A to run the truck, an Ohio Generator 300A unit for the system, and a dead placeholder in spot #3. I was planning on a 2nd high output alt, but as of now, I don't really need it, so I'm just chilling with 2 functioning at the moment.

For those who are running high-wattage sound systems, I can't recommend Ohio Gen enough. Don't bother with the "bargain" alts you see on Ebay and such - there's a reason they are cheaper - they're not built to the same standards. I went through a number of cheaper alts, including running 3 remanufactured stock alts with a multiple alternator control unit, always had problems, questions of if they were working right, etc. Finally just went all-in with the totally separated electrical system for my audio and everything is copacetic.

:grd:

<edit> BTW, running about... mmmm... 7400 watts, I think. Of true, solid, clean Zapco power.

crx88ia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FYI, I ended up putting in an Odyssey 34/78 AGM battery in the 2nd location near the passenger firewall. That thing is a beast.

I've separated all my audio electrical from the truck's system (except the headunit) and all my electrical troubles are gone. Love it. I've got 3 alts, one stock 145A to run the truck, an Ohio Generator 300A unit for the system, and a dead placeholder in spot #3. I was planning on a 2nd high output alt, but as of now, I don't really need it, so I'm just chilling with 2 functioning at the moment.

For those who are running high-wattage sound systems, I can't recommend Ohio Gen enough. Don't bother with the "bargain" alts you see on Ebay and such - there's a reason they are cheaper - they're not built to the same standards. I went through a number of cheaper alts, including running 3 remanufactured stock alts with a multiple alternator control unit, always had problems, questions of if they were working right, etc. Finally just went all-in with the totally separated electrical system for my audio and everything is copacetic.

:grd:

<edit> BTW, running about... mmmm... 7400 watts, I think. Of true, solid, clean Zapco power.

Dude this needs it's own thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2