Sas 98 'hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

roy72004

Reaction score
Well that would definitely explain that! I live in Wyoming. Where you don't even need a license/permit to conceal carry a handgun. Lol A bumper is definitely not a controlled item in this state. In fact, very little about your vehicle is controlled. No emissions testing, nothing. If you're not driving commercial, they could care less what you drive.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
he may not have the resources to develop something and have it tested to see if it meets the feds 49 CFR Part 581 regulation not including any state laws involved in the matter for their own standards. but if you do by all means go for it.

OP
OP
R

roy72004

Reaction score
Ok dude. **** state laws, **** fed laws... I'll build a bumper and it'll be tested when I decide to use the winch.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna know what the holy hell you're talking about... Street legal? You think it has to be a company making them before they are safe for use? You know the very same welders and engineers that design this stuff for companies do their own stuff in their garage too... I'm a rig welder, I'm sure I know how to build a safe, street legal bumper... Winch mount bumper at that. I've built em before and never had a problem.

Right, but the companies that build them, again NOT ALL have contracted with the DOT to obtain a 50 or 49 state street legal permit. This nullifies any claim on behalf of the company or user. I can personally build a bumper stronger than anything on the market . but will it cause me to have a liability? Would i know how to make it so the airbags will still deploy? will it crumple to soften impacts? Probably no because I don't have a test facility and neither do you. my point is still valid. For instance 3 years ago give or take a buddy of mine was driving his K5 down a country road where he came upon an intersection . a lady did not see him pulled out and he T-***** her . she was DOA . after an investigation he actually got SUED because of his "home made" bumper for reasons that it was not to DOT or NHTSA spec. He is still living with that and paying for that to this day. Now Im not condoning custom mods or anything but ever since I heard that my bumpers will be DOT approved . there are reasons why headlight laws exist. bumper height limit laws exist. car manufactures actually spend millions on certain parts of the vehicle such as bumpers, headlights, crumple zones ect... to aid in survivability in accidents. Yours and my fab skills might be top notch but when it comes to your or someone elses life the insurance companies don't care.

OP
OP
R

roy72004

Reaction score
I know they do...And I understand what your saying and where you're coming from but I Guess I'm glad I still live in a part of the country that doesn't sue someone for looking at em wrong. And who comes after me would have a bill to pay. You couldn't put liability onto the owner of a USED vehicle. Not knowing prior condition. You could, but I wouldn't think very successfully. And I'm lost on the whole airbag comment...

OP
OP
R

roy72004

Reaction score
Btw, got the airbag comment. Lol airbag deployment shouldn't be affected by my front bumper. Either way... I don't even really want my airbags. I'm changing steering wheels to a grant, it won't even have one after that.