Rust on Fender

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Silent D, Apr 5, 2018.

1. kwOH

kwOH Elite Member Supporting Member

Name:
    Kenny
    Looks like an Ohio car

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk Pro

Galante likes this.
  2. Silent D

Silent D Member

Name:
    Jason
    Yeah it came out of Northern Canada. I have it in the Seattle area now though and I don't have to worry about salt, just being wet 8 months out of a year. So I'm hoping I can get the fender repaired and the rest won't get worse.

3. cmc76

cmc76 Full Access Member

Name:
    C
    To me it doesnt look horrible, And if you try and sell before fixing the fenders at least, any buyer is going to lowball you to deal with it. I would clean up the fenders, white probably wont be bad to blend the paint.

4. Silent D

Silent D Member

Name:
    Jason
    if I can get it repaired and not worry about it anymore I'll keep this thing. I really like it, it does everything I need and it will be paid off before a newer model would be lol.

5. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    If your buddy can fix it cheap, make sure he does it right. Fixing it twice wouldn't be cheap. Also, I'd scrape any rust from the undercarriage, put some Por15 or similar on there to neutralize the rust, and then spray undercoat. Should be good after that.

6. Silent D

Silent D Member

Name:
    Jason
    I can do all that with body on? I'd love to do a body off frame restore but its not feasible at all.

I do have an air compressor and rotary air tools with wire wheels to be able to really get a lot of the accessible rust off.

7. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    Sure you can.

Galante and Silent D like this.
  8. Silent D

Silent D Member

Name:
    Jason
    Guess that will be getting put on the list. Just have to wait for some dry weather and being in the Seattle area I have a few months before that happens lol.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Tonyrodz likes this.
  9. Silent D

Silent D Member

Name:
    Jason
    Well just got back from having the rust repair quoted. The guy looked at it and said he might have to cut out and reeled a new quarter panel in, repaint the trip-coat so worst about $4k. At that price I would do it no problem. He did notice it was bondo-ed before and repainted so he started going over the whole truck.

He noticed the right rear quarter panel and rear bumper had been repainted as well, and what he described as a "real shitty" paint job. He showed me the front right fender now has rusty coming through on a corner, the front bumper has been repainted and the hood doesn't align with the fenders.

He said his shop is slow and really needs the work right now but he couldn't tell me in good faith to spend the money to have it repaired. He said I would honestly be throwing my money away with this vehicle and suggested I sell it as soon as possible and get into another one if I really like it. He offered to inspect any vehicle I might be looking at buying free of charge.

All in all I'm super disappointed to say the least. Last night I got the ok from the wife to get the 4/6" drop.

I went right to the dealer and they gave me a $16k trade quote and I test drove a 2011 Escalade with the 6.2L. I wasn't impressed enough with the Escalade to trade-in on it. I actually didn't like a lot about the interior, however, I loved the heated steering wheel lol.

Pretty shitty day.

@kbuskill @Tonyrodz

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  10. kbuskill

kbuskill ***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!

Name:
    Ken

I think that is a pretty honest assessment... when the guy tells you he is slow and could use the work but then tells you it's a waste of time and money... that says a lot to me... at least about the guys integrity if nothing else.

What didn't you like about the Esky???

I would love to have a 6.2L in the Burb.

Galante and Tonyrodz like this.