Runs terrible when cold.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st cold start in the morning, 5.3L runs terrible for about 15-30 seconds. Stinks like hell from the exhaust. Runs very rough. Idles all over. Then after that, it's perfect.

Dealer replaced the MAF, but it didn't help.
2013 burb, all stock.

The dealer wants to reprogram the ECM. But I haven't went back yet. I think that's ridiculous.

Any other clues?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality of your fuel, vacuum leaks, loose motor, condition of plugs and wires could also be in play. If it runs just fine afterwards, use the remote start feature and don't bother with climbing aboard until its up to temp and your interior is nice and toasty for the journey ahead.

OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer just reset the fuel trims. Now it seems ok. It was so bad, it wouldn't start. 2 trips to the dealer....

SLE2013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like what I was going through... added a fuel injector cleaner on a full tank of gas, and used a tier 1 gas station when I filled up... issue went away. I spent $400 from the dealer with MAF replacement, computer update, AIS service and all it took was a $10 bottle of fuel injector cleaner and issue solved.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like what I was going through... added a fuel injector cleaner on a full tank of gas, and used a tier 1 gas station when I filled up... issue went away. I spent $400 from the dealer with MAF replacement, computer update, AIS service and all it took was a $10 bottle of fuel injector cleaner and issue solved.
thanks for the reminder I have like 4 cases of that stuff sitting in the garage and I just filled her up at Costco!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14