Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmaley99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2008 Yukon Denali with power running boards. They don't work anymore and I'd like to remove them and just replace them with non power. I figure I'd be able to remove them and all the mounting brackets but before I do I want to make sure there isn't anything I need leave or make sure to remove in order to do so. So any info on this would be helpful.

rstewheck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali with the power running boards. If you are capable of working on the running boards they need a little bit of service to keep them working. I have had issues with mine, intermittent working to just not working at all. What I have found is that these power boards are designed to stop and reverse direction of just stop with any resistance what so ever. GM or their supplier designed these to prevent injury to anyone who might get a foot or hand caught in the board as it retracts. The controller for the boards will reverse it's direction with the slightest resistance. I found that the rear hinge on my boards was bound from winter road salt. I removed the front and rear hinges and soaked them in penetrating oil. After the oil bath a little bit of manual flexing of the hinges they worked fine. I cleaned the hinges, oiled the pivot points and reinstalled the boards. They worked fine. These units are terrific when they work as installed, but since they are under the vehicle and are exposed to the elements they have to be serviced and lubricated to maintain there intended service.