RPMs jumping slightly upon braking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mentalattica

Reaction score
Hey guys,

When I'm coming to a stop I've noticed my 07 Yukon feels like it wants to pull forward a little. As far as I can tell this wasn't happening until I cleaned the TB last week. When I'm coming to a stop and get just under 10mph the RPMs quickly jump from about 500 to 700 and I feel a small surge. It's only for a split second and not enough to move the SUV but it's enough to bug the hell out of me because I feel it. Passengers don't notice it either.

I'm wondering if it's always done it and I didn't pay attention until after cleaning the TB, or of course if I some how botched cleaning it (which I would think is hard to do). I didn't remove the TB and I used CRC TB cleaner and a microfiber towel, and after a few days I disconnected the battery for about a half hour to see if resetting the computer helped any and it didn't.

Any suggestions or am I paranoid? And does anyone know how to get that darn plastic clip that holds the intake to the radiator hose off? I can't figure that darn thing out without feeling like I'm gonna brake it.

Shelbya

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could it be the transmission down shifting that you are feeling and making the to rpm's increase? Just a thought

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
It doesn't quite feel like a downshift. More like the gas is tapped once or twice when coming to a stop. I double checked the TB and it's pretty clean.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a pretty common occurrence with the 4L60E. If you read around on here, GM Fullsize, etc. you'll find a ton of people that experience this. Nothing is wrong, it's just the tranmission shifting down into first gear right before you come to a full stop. It feels like the car is accelerating but it's just surging forward a little due to the increased torque multiplication in 1st gear rather than 2nd gear.

OP
OP
M

mentalattica

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, that's good to know. I kinda figured I was being paranoid too.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an annoying little quirk, that's for sure. Sometimes when I'm not paying attention and it happens it scares the crap out of me for a split second. I don't think the 4L80E's have the same problem, but I'm not a fan of the 4L80E's, either. They're supposed to be better, and in some ways I'm sure they are, but I'm not totally convinced....

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HATE this about my '09's 6-speed. Hate it. It's awful. I'm conscious of it every time I drive. Annoying as hell.

I'm hoping that, one day, I'll be able to get it "tuned out" with a BB tune.

BB, if you're reading this, CAN you tune this out?

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HATE this about my '09's 6-speed. Hate it. It's awful. I'm conscious of it every time I drive. Annoying as hell.

I'm hoping that, one day, I'll be able to get it "tuned out" with a BB tune.

BB, if you're reading this, CAN you tune this out?

I don't notice it with my BB tune, but I also can't remember if it happened before it.

denaliguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know it's been a few years since the last post so this thread may be dead. Anyway, I just bought a 2008 Escalade and like yours it has the 4L60E tranny with the weird surge as I stop. I cleaned the TB and MAF tonight and noticed the surge as I stop. Everything else shifts flawlessly, but I just noticed it because I was paying more attention after I cleaned it. I swear it didn't do it before the TB cleaning because when I test drove it I was really **** and watched/listened for anything that might be wrong with the vehicle. Is the answer still that it's a 4L60E quirk and we'll have to live with it or is there something I can do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094