RPM surge at stop with brake applied - the random vibrations are annoying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been doing some research out there and the 5.3 is known to randomly surge in RPMs, to vibrate, to burble while at a stop with brake applied. I've read about shims being applied to the engine mounts per GM with little to no effect. I did not notice this happening until past 15K miles and now it is very noticeable. Does yours do this as well or is your 5.3 purring and providing totally stable revs at a stop?

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed. it just started. at first I thought it was just due to the COLD COLD COLD weather, but it is doing when engine is warm as well. I too researched the issue, and many have complained about the torque converter being the culprit

I have an appointment at dealer Jan 16... I called on 12/18 and was originally was given appointment on January 4. my service adviser called me back on 1/2 and said the service department is so back logged with tahoes and suburbans that first available appointment was 1/16

VikYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue. Dealer says its normal. :( Ridiculous considering how expensive these vehicles are.

OP
OP
Burby

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely taking it into the dealer to get it logged and on file before warranty runs out at 36K miles. That way, it is logged for GM to see the owner complaint, and if anything acts up later I can point to this issue.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will vibrate on occasion while stopped at a light. I honestly never happened to look down at the tach to see if there was a jump in RPMs to correlate with the vibration. It's been happening for a while now but only ever so often so I never bothered to bring it in as I didn't want to waste the time for something I couldn't easily replicate and show proof to the dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh