Rotational whine noise 2005 Z71 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chris.ncfb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For the past few weeks I am hearing a whine that is hard to detect. It definitely gets faster as the tahoe gets faster so I know it is in the drivetrain. You can hear it at low speeds as well as higher speeds and then it is a higher frequency. I thought it was a tire but I am afraid it may be a bearing in the differential. I have jacked up the front and checked the front two wheel hub assemblies. There is absolutely no play in them. I am wondering if I should take the pan off the differential and look around for some wear. Any advice on finding this would be great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what about the rear? similar method and you can see if you have play in the axle bearing.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had wheel bearings go bad that had zero play in them. You can`t really tell by rotating the tire but you can feel how chunky it feels when you spin it by hand when you remove it.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have had wheel bearings go bad that had zero play in them. You can`t really tell by rotating the tire but you can feel how chunky it feels when you spin it by hand when you remove it.

Take the wheel off and spin the rotor, or better yet, yank the caliper, too and spin the hub. You'll feel if it's grinding at all.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear bearing of Transfer Case fits your symptom too. What year is your Tahoe? Have you checked your fluid level in the transfer case lately? Is the tail off the transfer case wet?

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same here. i had a oscillation noise at highway speeds but the bearing seemed to test ok with traditional tests. once i said screw it and ordered one i pulled it off and could feel how clunky the bearing was. replaced it and noise gone.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be a dumbass here probably. Can you hear the whine sitting still? If you rev it in park does the whine increase? My stereo makes a whine that the pitch increases as the engine RPMs increase. Just a thought.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be a dumbass here probably. Can you hear the whine sitting still? If you rev it in park does the whine increase? My stereo makes a whine that the pitch increases as the engine RPMs increase. Just a thought.
HAHAHAHA Thats noise induced by your alternator. Actual cause could be the alternator itself, within your radio head unit, ground missing, dirty, broken.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHAHAHA Thats noise induced by your alternator. Actual cause could be the alternator itself, within your radio head unit, ground missing, dirty, broken.

Yep, I know. I was wondering if that was the cause of the original poster's whine.

OP
OP
C

chris.ncfb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: it is not the rear wheel bearing. I jacked the truck up and put in drive. Sounded like the right rear bearing was gone. I tore it down yesterday and the bearing was fine. I went ahead and replaced it since I was that far into it. I drove it a while and did the touch test. Seems a little warm on output shaft of transfer case. Pretty sure that is responsible for the noise. There is a little play in the driveshaft. My question now is, do I replace the bearing or the transfer case? I am gonna drain the fluid out of it one night this week and check it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk