Roof Rack Design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I run a tire on my basket no problems. But yea staggard is complicated my basket isnt and its perfectly fine

OP
OP
AZ Tahoe

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea but I like the Staggered look. Her is one I did for a friend

394178_10152055217970431_437606186_n.jpg

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Hey did you post that pic on here before? Might be the one i saw

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have 28 points of contact to the roof using rivet nuts. I think that should disperse the weight more than enough to work. I have worked on racks with less and held more. I would love to get the swing arm going but need a new welder first for steel that thick.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Also the points of contact are on top but on the edge which is the strongest part of the roof

Good deal. I'm fixing to get started on my rear bumper with a 2 swing arms, On for tire and the other for gas cans. One other thing I am building into my bumper is storage. Hold some tools and a place to put my straps when I go off-road. Will have a built in Hi-Point jack mount as well. I'm still drawing up plans but after over 100 test drawing I'm getting close ;) I love the placement of your lights in your roof rack too. I would run LED lights in there so you can put in smaller lights but better light out put and less draw on your battery

My99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im building one as we speak from 1x1 steel square tubing my measurements are 71 inches long by 51 inches wide , Mine doesn't have the slope in the front however

Your rack is sweet. I have existing OEM crossbars and rails. Did you just tie into the existing hole or drill new ones. I am not sure how and where the other guy is making a 28 point contact. Any help on how to build and how to best tie in to the roof would be great.

Is unbolting the existing rack and simply using the 6 attachments points sufficient to get a solid framework or do I need to punch some more holes in the roof, which I dont want to do unless i have to for strength.

I have never welded before so I will either learn or have a buddy help me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne