Roof Rack Design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so this is not my truck I stole the pic offline but I have a 2 door (Tan). This is just a quick draft of what I am looking to do and wanted to get your guys input. I will be also mounting my tire in here for now (Going to make a rear bumper with swing mount) and may also throw a high lift jack and shovel in there. For mounting to the roof as I don’t have an OEM rack I will be using "Blind Rivet Nuts" in size 8MM (28 total). The steel will be square but am also thinking of just going for tube. The measurements are still in the air.

What do you think?
Anyone have Photoshop and bored?

RoofRack_zpsdfd3cfde.gif

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im building one as we speak from 1x1 steel square tubing my measurements are 71 inches long by 51 inches wide , Mine doesn't have the slope in the front however

OP
OP
AZ Tahoe

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL sorry bought the slope. Paint would not allow me to adjust the lines.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

Im building one as we speak from 1x1 steel square tubing my measurements are 71 inches long by 51 inches wide , Mine doesn't have the slope in the front however

Any rough drafts?

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 different ones I will take pictures tonight and upload them , I hear its a PITA to seal up the old holes from the existing roof rack . just a FYI

OP
OP
AZ Tahoe

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. I dont have a roof rack so no problems there. I am also thinking since I will be putting the tire up there if I could fab a quick ratcheting crane to lift and drop the spare.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Maybe even on an electric solenoid

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Some dude on here did the same but around the existing rack

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big a tire are you going to put up there?? I would be worried about it caving in my roof. if it was me I would build the swing out first and then the roof rack.

OP
OP
AZ Tahoe

AZ Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have 28 points of contact to the roof using rivet nuts. I think that should disperse the weight more than enough to work. I have worked on racks with less and held more. I would love to get the swing arm going but need a new welder first for steel that thick.

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

Also the points of contact are on top but on the edge which is the strongest part of the roof

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts