Roof Rack - Aftermarket vs. Factory - Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Driver3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've searched, googled, etc... I think my use for the Denali Yukon XL is different than others. Most of what I've found are forum postings for removing the roof rack or adding factory for looks. I'm looking for cargo carrying strength and potentially adding a roof top tent.

I have a 2009 Yukon XL denali with the factory crossbars. The bars seem pretty weak. I do like the low profile, but I'm concerned with the load capacity. My packasport fiberglass roof box is probably 60lbs alone. Loaded with gear - probably over 150lbs. I would rather have a thule or yakima setup with extra long bars, but their website shows no options for the denali version of this truck. Later I would like to add a tent setup - see here --> https://cascadiatents.com/shop/mt-denali-roof-top-tent/ . The tent is almost 200 lbs alone - then add people sleeping up there, no way would those factory bars hold. 90% of the time the roof rack will be used for kayaks, skis, and cargo.

SO - has this been done? Do I retrofit a suburban/non denali setup first? Does anyone have a vendor they go to for racks like this? I had a Gobi on my H3 that was bomber, something like that would be cool.

Thanks in advance.

H0llyw00d

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Yukon xl 2500 and would be interested in trading my roof rack plus cash for your Denali rack. If you decide you want to go with the retro fit route that is

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I would suggest, unless you just want to keep your Denali roof rack, is to remove the Denali rack and sell it. Then buy three of this (P/N: Y00221): https://www.etrailer.com/p-Y00221.html You will need three sets to fill factory holes in your roof. Then you can go with whichever Yakima mounting system that will serve your purpose.

For the holes that do not get uses, if you no not buy three sets of landing pads, GM makes a plug that fills those holes. Unfortunately, I do not know that part number.

My suburban came from the factory without the roof rack and that was my plan for adding that capability. I haven't needed or could have used a roof rack yet, so it has been low on my list of priorities. I did have a similar setup on a BMW E39 Wagon (2001 530iT) and loved the convenience. Rails when I needed them, and a relatively smooth roof line when I didn't. I had those feet painted to match the body so that they were less obvious, but the paint chipped with use and didn't look as good after a few years.

For those that might be curious, on the BMW at least, with or without rails did not make a difference in average MPG. Throw a mountain bike up on the roof though and I did begin to see an effect on MPG depending on whether it was a cross town trip, or a highway trip.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in a ski town so I see alot of roof top carriers. I've seen several Denalis with Thule and Yakima boxes up top so I'd think you should call and talk with their customer service and ask. The standard to yukon racks might be a bit stronger load wise. That would be the easiest route to go in not having to fabricate anything majorly to fit your roof. And if you decide to go that route and keep have your denali chrome rack set up, there are a lot of guys on here that would be interested in picking them up off you so you wouldn't have them just laying around. Plus if you sell them it'll help offset the cost of the other racks and or the cargo carrier. The chrome denali racks will sell for a good price if they are in good shape. Gm doesn't make those anymore so they are in high demamd.

OP
OP
D

Driver3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Somehow I didn't get a notification on my post- I'll fix that.

1. Yes, I'll sell my denali rack to cover the gap in cost.
2. I can put a yakima/thule roof box on, no problem, on the factory rails. However, they are way to flimsy for anything heavier. (which I want)
3. I'll take a look at etrailer right now.

Thanks so far everyone. I'll keep this up to date.

smccollamjr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had 3 kayaks on my stock Suburban rack. They held fine for 400+ miles, but they bounced more than I was comfortable with. I'm ordering Yakima crossbars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu