Roof Antennas Delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have a solution for removing roof onstar & nav antennas?

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
@Fosscore did his if I'm not mistaken. Think he dropped the headliner.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
D

Dan Acosta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a plug or something available to plug the holes, or should I wait to have it welded up? BTW, I cant find the posts on other guys who did this.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the correct page with a huge write and some pictures.

@Dan Acosta

Page 14
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/fosscores-2006-tahoe-build-thread.65729/page-14

You don't have to drop the entire headliner, only the front and some interior pieces from the A to the B pillar.

I redid the headliner and carpet when I removed the OnStar antenna, so the truck was torn apart. It was easy at that point to see the roof and the bottom of the floor.

If just OnStar antenna then only the driver side. I did not have a nav antenna, but you would need to repeat for passenger side to be able to access the antenna on that side.

1. A pillar (just pops off with 3 clips and pushes down in front of the dash)
2. Driver's Visor (screws)
3. Overhead console (1 screw in front and clips towards back)
4. B pillar to have some extra room which also means the driver front and passenger kick plates (just clips pulled straight up)
5. If Nav antenna, you will need to removed overhead grab handle, which pushes through the headliner and into the roof. Pull out the not quite round plugs which pull a plastic pin part way out. There are 2 black rectangular washers that slide on (careful when pushing and pulling them on/off as they tend to bend in half at the weak point, (which you will see how skinny it is) to hold the grab handle to the headliner and that whole piece actually pushes/snaps into the roof.

Here are some pictures of the OnStar antenna.

One nut inside snug against the roof.
IMG_3852.JPG IMG_3853.jpg IMG_3854.JPG IMG_3855.JPG
The plug that runs at the top of the windshield to the overhead console to unplug. I also pulled the little black microphone and tossed it along with the shark fin thereafter.
IMG_3856.JPG

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_3857.JPG IMG_3858.JPG

Plugs are just plastic body plugs from Lowes or local hardware store that had big enough head to full cover the hole in the roof.

IMG_3923.jpg

Checking the fitment. I also got ones that had the plastic thread so that I could fit a nylon washer on the back and push it up tight against the inside of the roof to help seal the black silicone to the roof, inside and out. Plus no metal on metal contact, thus no corrosion either. The smaller hole takes a very small plug. I cannot remember the sizes, but less than $5 for all plugs and goop, plus your paint.

I color matched them first, gooped them up so that every millimeter was covered and put extra on the inside as it was under the headliner, pushed them tight against the roof and wiped off the excess on the outside. I left the inside with excess for good measure. I followed the same plan on the liftgate when I deleted the rear wiper. I have had no leaks in over 2 years.

IMG_3940.JPG

OnStar antenna deleted and you can see the plug.
IMG_4043.JPG

Last edited:

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 180387 View attachment 180388

Plugs are just plastic body plugs from Lowes or local hardware store that had big enough head to full cover the hole in the roof.

View attachment 180389

Checking the fitment. I also got ones that had the plastic thread so that I could fit a nylon washer on the back and push it up tight against the inside of the roof to help seal the black silicone to the roof, inside and out. Plus no metal on metal contact, thus no corrosion either. The smaller hole takes a very small plug. I cannot remember the sizes, but less than $5 for all plugs and goop, plus your paint.

I color matched them first, gooped them up so that every millimeter was covered and put extra on the inside as it was under the headliner, pushed them tight against the roof and wiped off the excess. I followed the same plan on the liftgate when I deleted the rear wiper. I have had no leaks in over 2 years.

View attachment 180390

OnStar antenna deleted and you can see the plug.
View attachment 180391

Great work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OhioHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shaved mine as well. Fosscore already gave a great explanation on removal. I welded in a plate and smoothed mine out since the whole thing was getting painted anyway but the plug method sounds like a great alternative as no one is likely ever going to see up there anyway.
IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1603.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic