Roadforce Balancing worth it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LI Tahoe

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say if you have to ask whether to spend $80 as a possible fix for anything you're way over thinking your spending. That's a tank of gas.

Yes of course you are correct. I was just curious of any one thought it was another "cure" since I've done about everything else I can.

Taking it in tomorrow for the Road Force balance

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to note...with these trucks, they all must RF under 15lbs. My tire shop thought I was nuts but this is one of the things GM has shared with some. We had to swap one of our Michelin with a new one during initial install due to not getting it under 15lbs.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to note...with these trucks, they all must RF under 15lbs. My tire shop thought I was nuts but this is one of the things GM has shared with some. We had to swap one of our Michelin with a new one during initial install due to not getting it under 15lbs.

Under 15 pounds? Whats that mean?

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score

not true. that is tire specific. if you run an M/T, for example, the RF can be as high as 30-40 and still balance out and ride fine. The vehicle does not matter, its the type of tire.

obviously the lower the RF, the nicer the ride. But the Hunter machine will also tell someone if the RF is within range.

Ekim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RF is worth it only if the tire tech is good and the machine is calibrated properly. Curious why you would have to pay with only 4000 on the tires? They should be under warranty from where you had them mounted/balanced originally.

ajs800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not true. that is tire specific. if you run an M/T, for example, the RF can be as high as 30-40 and still balance out and ride fine. The vehicle does not matter, its the type of tire.

obviously the lower the RF, the nicer the ride. But the Hunter machine will also tell someone if the RF is within range.

you are correct...I guess I was under the impression they were oem or "OEM Like" tires. A GM Tech doc even specifies when dealers are dealing with buffeting issues to make the target number 15lbs or less when RF.

THe other thing to mention is 99% of vehicles might run smooth and fine at 16- 25lbs but not these trucks. When I was experimenting with our buffeting problems I wheel tire swapped with two other GM trucks and both sets created horrible buffeting but they were smooth and fine when on the donor trucks (sierra and previous gen tahoe).

Last edited:
OP
OP
LI Tahoe

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had them RF balanced.

Here is what the numbers were

LF 16 RF 15
LR 14 RR 40

The RR was corrected to 23, the lowest they could get it to go

Weights were replaced and repostioned on each wheel

I will drive my normal route for a day or two and see if it makes any difference

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40 is on the higher for an LT tire.

You should feel a difference.

OP
OP
LI Tahoe

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick update. as its been 2 days and I've driven the small roads and times I always seem to.

the ride is certainly more comfortable now. The wind buffering is certainly still there. RF balancing certainly did not "cure the issue" but it made it more livable.

its really a shame that tolerable is the new normal.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick update. as its been 2 days and I've driven the small roads and times I always seem to.

the ride is certainly more comfortable now. The wind buffering is certainly still there. RF balancing certainly did not "cure the issue" but it made it more livable.

its really a shame that tolerable is the new normal.

Rfb can help a lot and is worth the price imo. Glad it helped you. I had a little vibration and a good RFB took care of it.

There is a TSB for buffetting so make sure you push your dealer to try and fix it.