Revving too high before it will shift...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigpapapete

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my tranny did the same thing for a while ,I couldn't figure out the problem until I lost second gear then fourth, sorry hope you have better luck than I did

TallyHo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had both cats and banks replaced, runs like new now!

Thanks again for the help.

What do you mean by both banks?
I get that there is bank 1 and 2, but what on bank 1 and 2 did you replace?? Sorry for digging up an old thread. But this sounds exactly like whats happening to me right now.

Pamela

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've changed sensors, cut cats off and straightpiped, I'm still having issues with that high rev, it says air leak but I think it may be a suffocation, I've checked hoses and sealing, I've sprayed quick start all over to check for a leak and still no luck.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If an intake manifold gasket is leaking it can be hard to spray enough around the intake port to find the leak(especially if the leak is on the bottom side of the port). It takes a fair amount of spray intensity to alter the engine idle. A tank of propane with a hose gives better directional flow when doing this kind of troubleshooting.

A note of warning: if there is a loose high voltage ignition connection, this type of testing is dangerous (explosive).

Also, if multiple ports are leaking, this type of testing can be inconclusive.

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is super old, but I thought I would throw in my two cents in case it could help anyone. I had the exact same symptoms on my 2005 Escalade. It turned out to be the MAF. I put in a K&N air filter, the type you oil, and I guess I put too much oil on. It dirtied up the MAF. I pulled it out and cleaned it, symptoms didn't really change much. Finally just bought a new one and the problem disappeared immediately, along with the CEL and several codes indicating everything from bad O2 sensors to exhaust leak. Anyway, I hope that it helps someone with an easy fix.

By the way, I had been running the K&N for at least a year before the engine light came on. Engine light was intermittent for a few months before the tranny symptoms appeared.