Revving too high before it will shift...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
my tranny did that on the silverado. Replaced it, better but not 100% the first to second shift was crap. Rest were great. Got a BB tune, now its like butter at low speeds, and firm shifts at heavy throttle. Best investment ever for my silverado, and thats on a 4l80e, I would love to see what It could do to a 4l60e Like you guys have.

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
With all these thing happening at once I wonder if the PCM went south.

Wasn't there a condition where a bad/dirty MAP or MAF sensor would cause most of these conditions?

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Havent heard of that...but honestly try the vette servo, one of the best investments i've had on the truck so far

OP
OP
9CZ71Denali

9CZ71Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Where is the MAP and how do I clean/replace it? Sorry for the newb question. Thanks for the help guys!

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
well, would you say ALL these problems started at the same time or at least within a few weeks of one another... if it was a progresion of problems, do you know which one happened FIRST?

OP
OP
9CZ71Denali

9CZ71Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The high revving before it shifts was the first problem. Thats been going on for awhile, but it is smooth, so I didn't worry about it. Yesterday, on my way to work, the other symptoms appeared. On my way home I got a P0301 code - Cyl 1 Misfire - after hitting a bump around 70mph. Took it easy on the way home. Today (Monday), I tried romping on it a bit to see if there was an issue, and things just got worse. The rough acceleration, rattling and the rough idling.

I will clean the MAF and my CAI (dirty) tomorrow. I will try the MAP too if someone could give me some guidance. I will look at the service manual in the morning.

Thanks!

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
The high revving before it shifts was the first problem. Thats been going on for awhile, but it is smooth, so I didn't worry about it. Yesterday, on my way to work, the other symptoms appeared. On my way home I got a P0301 code - Cyl 1 Misfire - after hitting a bump around 70mph. Took it easy on the way home. Today (Monday), I tried romping on it a bit to see if there was an issue, and things just got worse. The rough acceleration, rattling and the rough idling.

I will clean the MAF and my CAI (dirty) tomorrow. I will try the MAP too if someone could give me some guidance. I will look at the service manual in the morning.

Thanks!

Well in cases where your problems seem to be ***********, you can useually track your problem back to the first one, and if your lucky, fixing the first will then fix the rest. But for argument sake, lets say the high reving isnt the culprit, what was the second symtom? was it the P0301 code or did something happen before that?

my next suggestion, IMO, would be to stop driving it if you can because it does sound like you might be working on some real problems

OP
OP
9CZ71Denali

9CZ71Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was accelerating rough before the code, and when you'd accelerate, you wouldn't move anywhere, it would just rev up like you were on the gas in neutral.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
all of that sounds like tranny problems.... From what i can tell, and this is all just my assesment based on prior experince, it sounds like your tranny is almost gone. not sure why that would throw the misfire code, someone else may help with that... but my guess is you need a new tranny fast, it seems like it would explain like 90% of the symptoms...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep