Retrofitting DL3 (power fold, heated, turn signals) onto a 2000 truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I now have a set of DL3 mirrors! :D
(And I have a power fold switch from an '02 Esky on the way)

I'm thinking about getting the mirror harness off a '03+ truck to replace the harness that is already on my truck.

That way I could splice in the connections I already have (plus the fold and turn signal wires I'll be adding) from the old harness, and splice them into the new ones.
That way If I ever have to replace the mirrors again (or I sell the truck, but I don't plan on doing that), all that has to be done is get a new set of DL3 mirrors and they'll just plug right in.

Anyone know of a reason why this would be a bad idea?

kses123

kses123
Reaction score
Only if you can find them for cheap. If not, you can order the connectors by themselves and some little terminals to go in the connectors and make your own. It would cost a fraction of what a door harness would.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only if you can find them for cheap. If not, you can order the connectors by themselves and some little terminals to go in the connectors and make your own. It would cost a fraction of what a door harness would.

I was watching some mirror replacement videos on YouTube today, and I noticed a problem with my idea:
'99-02 have one connector, and it is right by the mirror where it connect to the truck (makes for SUPER easy mirror replacement).
'03 to '06 connect the mirrors to door window switch.

So new plan:
Rewire the new mirrors to attach to the old connector and add another connector for the power fold and turn signals.

So now I just need to find two pair of smallish mating connectors to add the mirror folding and the turn signal functions.
I plan on getting some trailer light wires (the 4 wires all in one style), and then a 4-pin connector set of some sort.

I'll just chop the connector off the old mirrors and attach them to the new mirrors, and wire them accordingly.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I was watching some mirror replacement videos on YouTube today, and I noticed a problem with my idea:
'99-02 have one connector, and it is right by the mirror where it connect to the truck (makes for SUPER easy mirror replacement).
'03 to '06 connect the mirrors to door window switch.

So new plan:
Rewire the new mirrors to attach to the old connector and add another connector for the power fold and turn signals.

So now I just need to find two pair of smallish mating connectors to add the mirror folding and the turn signal functions.
I plan on getting some trailer light wires (the 4 wires all in one style), and then a 4-pin connector set of some sort.

I'll just chop the connector off the old mirrors and attach them to the new mirrors, and wire them accordingly.
Good luck man! Sounds like it's turning into a real project.

OP
OP
W8TVI

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed the new mirrors today, minus hooking up the turn signals and power fold wires.
I wanted to get a quick disconnect of some sort for the four extra wires. Turns out the only inexpensive way of doing that (and not getting a huge plug) is using a four-way plug meant for a trailer.

When I got them installed and was testing them for function, the passenger mirror still wasn't heating up the way it should (it'd only just barely noticeably get warmer in the middle of the mirror).

I checked the voltage at the plug on the door for the heating element and with the truck running, it only showed about 11.5v.
Makes me think that there might be a bad ground some place. If it turns out to be a bad ground, I can always re-ground it closer to the door.

I should receive the power fold switch in the next couple of days, so I'm hoping that can finish the mirror project Thursday.

These new mirrors also seem to tilt farther than the old ones, and I don't have to deal with the broken passenger mirror anymore. Even if I didn't do anything else, it is already an upgrade :D
20170418_170802.jpg 20170418_174004.jpg 20170418_183428.jpg 20170418_184751.jpg 20170419_000352.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts