Replacing Tie Rods and Ball Joints Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm new to tie rods and ball joints so this might be a stupid question. My 2004 Yukon needs new ball joints and tie rods so I'm wondering if they all need to be replaced at the same time or if I can change the tie rods first and then replace the ball joints later down the road. Would that cause extra wear on the new tie rods somehow? Seems like if the ball joints can't keep the wheels from wobbling and being perfectly straight then that would be bad for the tie rods.

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd do it all at once since you're going to have to do an alignment anyway. Better just one than two. Might think about the pitman arm and idler arm while you're doing the rest.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do it all at once since you're going to have to do an alignment anyway. Better just one than two. Might think about the pitman arm and idler arm while you're doing the rest.

So does it need to be aligned after you replace the pitman and idler arms?

jaywoo65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couldn't hurt but i don't think you would absolutely have to. Might depend on how worn the arms were.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the tierods (inner and outer) , pitman, idler and idler bracket. You will need a front end alignment afterwards.

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the tierods (inner and outer) , pitman, idler and idler bracket. You will need a front end alignment afterwards.

What if you were just doing the pitman and idler arms and the idler bracket? Would it need an alignment for just those parts?

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are sure to hold the steering wheel in place you should be ok, but everything I read says that you need to align afterwards.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if you were just doing the pitman and idler arms and the idler bracket? Would it need an alignment for just those parts?

Just a suggestion (if you are in the US) so you do not have to debate whether or not to get an alignment... Firestone offers a lifetime alignment. Any time I do suspension work it goes in for an alignment and costs me nothing. I think it was $199, and was money well spent.

Sears offers one, too, but buyer beware! If you read the small print, any suspension work done on the vehicle must be done by them or they will cancel the lifetime alignment. It happened to me! :mad:

OP
OP
Justinj360

Justinj360

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion (if you are in the US) so you do not have to debate whether or not to get an alignment... Firestone offers a lifetime alignment. Any time I do suspension work it goes in for an alignment and costs me nothing. I think it was $199, and was money well spent.

Sears offers one, too, but buyer beware! If you read the small print, any suspension work done on the vehicle must be done by them or they will cancel the lifetime alignment. It happened to me! :mad:

I haven't heard of that before. I'll definitely have to check into it! That would've saved me a lot of money already. Wait Sears works on vehicles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442