Replacing steering wheel controls - easy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was scared to try, but went ahead and bought new steering wheel controls and replaced them... Super easy, pop the old one out, remove the wire connector, replace it and pop it back in.
I replaced 2 of them for $35, doorman off ebay, and they work perfectly and the lights look right at night.

Firm

Reaction score
How did you pop the old ones out? The last time I read up on this it involved removing the air bag??

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
How did you pop the old ones out? The last time I read up on this it involved removing the air bag??

You can just work them out with a screwdriver. Ususlly you can get them out far enough to unclip the harness. It's putting the new ones in that can get tricky. Sometimes you get enough wire to just clip them as it sounds like happened for the OP. Other times, removing the air bag (also easy) will give you that tiny extra bit of slack you need.

There is also the fishing line trick to seat the new ones if you need to.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine were really easy, I used a thin metal 'blade' 2 of them, I would suggest 2 butter knives, gently pry them one at a time, and slide em out, careful not to break the wiring clip, unclip the wire, clip it back into the new one, push em back in....
I was scared because I had read that you had to removed air bag too, but after watching a youtube video, I did it, and it was a breeze....

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks. Mine arn't worn, but the bulbs burnt out in the volume control, would be nice to replace it.

That's why I did mine. I used the Dorman replacements. FYI, the color of lights is just a hair different from stock, but enough that I soon ordered the other 3. I would just do all 4 and be done if I had to do it again.

Firm

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, that's what I'll do then. I am sure the others will be burning out soon anyway.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did my top two, so the slight color difference really isn't noticeable...

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the bulbs in all of mine. The controls were fairly easy to remove, but I had 2 where the harness wasn't long enough to plug back in. The air bag was super easy to remove to give me access to extend the plugs. Just remember to disconnect the battery first before removing the airbag

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
the bottom ones are a pia. use the fishing line or weed eater line to hold them out and plug in. top ones are usually not too big of a deal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons