Replacement Bulbs for H11s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was checking out the OEM bulbs, and see that the low-beams are Philips H11 LLs (long life). 12v 55w. Not very good. But many of the replacement halogens seem to die in under a year according to customer reviews on Amazon and others.

What did yinz guys use as replacements? Did you swap them out for HID or LED?

I think I want to stick with halogens. Any thoughts? Maybe PIAA?

IMG_1536.JPG

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to stick with Halogen bulbs? Sylvania halogens, are just like Phillips, are just like PIAA, halogens bulbs are halogen Bulbs. They're all 12V @ 55W, the only way you're going to get a halogen bulb that is brighter and has more light output is by going to halogen bulb that operates at higher watts; 12V @ 80W or 100W (I know PIAA has some that go pretty high).

That being said I've had decent experience with halogen bulbs from Hoen: http://www.hoen-usa.com/

When you start increasing the wattage on bulbs in electrical systems that aren't designed for it is when you can create problems... The factory wiring is gauged to run at 12V @ 55W, not 80W not 100W. The factory headlight housing is designed to handle heat from a 12V 55W Halogen bulb, not 80W or 100W. So when you increase just the wattage you're putting your factory headlight harness wiring at risk as well as your factory headlight housing. And for what you'll find is not a very noticeable amount of increased lumens over factory 12V 55W halogen bulbs.

The Tahoe's with non-HID headlights still have projectors for low beams don't they? So converting to HID on a halogen projector low beam will be much more "acceptable" than throwing an HID kit into a non-projector style halogen reflector headlight. If you're looking to increase the light output of your factory headlights find a quality HID kit and don't go over 6000K, personally I prefer the 4500-5500K max kelvin rating anything higher than that looks too aftermarket "ricer-ish" and actually decreases overall lumens (light output).

OP
OP
Z71Jack

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to stick with Halogen bulbs? Sylvania halogens, are just like Phillips, are just like PIAA, halogens bulbs are halogen Bulbs. They're all 12V @ 55W, the only way you're going to get a halogen bulb that is brighter and has more light output is by going to halogen bulb that operates at higher watts; 12V @ 80W or 100W (I know PIAA has some that go pretty high).

That being said I've had decent experience with halogen bulbs from Hoen: http://www.hoen-usa.com/

When you start increasing the wattage on bulbs in electrical systems that aren't designed for it is when you can create problems... The factory wiring is gauged to run at 12V @ 55W, not 80W not 100W. The factory headlight housing is designed to handle heat from a 12V 55W Halogen bulb, not 80W or 100W. So when you increase just the wattage you're putting your factory headlight harness wiring at risk as well as your factory headlight housing. And for what you'll find is not a very noticeable amount of increased lumens over factory 12V 55W halogen bulbs.

The Tahoe's with non-HID headlights still have projectors for low beams don't they? So converting to HID on a halogen projector low beam will be much more "acceptable" than throwing an HID kit into a non-projector style halogen reflector headlight. If you're looking to increase the light output of your factory headlights find a quality HID kit and don't go over 6000K, personally I prefer the 4500-5500K max kelvin rating anything higher than that looks too aftermarket "ricer-ish" and actually decreases overall lumens (light output).

Excellent feedback. Thank you.

DWSmoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed the Sylvania zxe H11 bulbs yesterday. Not sure how long they will last but they are whiter than the yellowish stock bulbs for sure which was my biggest complaint. May go with the Vanquish LED kit soon but for now these are an improvement IMO.

First picture is stock
C94881FC-ACB2-4FF8-9C8D-0BC68B009D3A.jpeg 639197F1-5BE0-40EB-9B67-AAE62B520477.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z71Jack

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I orderd a set of Philips H9s and Philips H11 Xtremes after bouncing a few emails with Dan Stern. Will try them back to back to see the result. He also recommended swapping the 9005s and going with the 9011 for high-beams.

I think for the low-beam projectors you want to go with the HID over the LEDs. We'll have to find out for sure from Vanquish. I'm considering the same thing.

billium39

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went with the vanquish hid kit for the low beams. blows my mind that a $65k vehicle comes with halogen bulbs. I wouldn't go led with the projectors its just not meant for it and won't be as bright as the led bulb should be. I'm happy with mine, plenty of light now, not only brighter, but looks a lot better now as well!

OP
OP
Z71Jack

Z71Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a set of Philips H9s. The mod took 10 minutes. Tried a few sets of H11s and they were all terrible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2