Rented a 2017 Yukon XL SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of stuff to move this weekend so I called Enterprise and reserved a pickup for the weekend. Just prior to picking it up Enterprise called me and explained that the pickup they had for me was damaged in an accident and offered me a 2017 Yukon XL at the same rate with unlimited mileage and I took it.

I rented a 6x12 U-Haul enclosed trailer to make up any difference in room.

The first thing I noticed with the XL other than the smoother ride that the XL provides over my standard wheelbase Yukon is the larger vertical opening at the rear. The XL has about a 3"~ 4" lower floor load height the rear and I can't understand exactly why. It may have something to do with the relative distance of the third row seat to the rear axle. In any case...when loading large objects and cargo in the rear...it offers a distinct advantage over the standard wheelbase model.

After driving my 3.42 geared Yukon with the Diablo Tuner for 17K plus miles, the difference between it and a Factory tuned 5.3with 3.08 gearing is striking !! Also...the handling of the standard wheelbase model is much more nimble. The tight turning radius and ease of parking plus the ability to maneuver my boat trailer around in tight places gives me great advantage over the XL model or a standard wheelbase pickup.

In summary...if I were a younger family man that also towed a boat or a camper, I would definitely look for a Yukon XL or Suburban with the Max Tow option that would get the 3.42 gears plus the added seating/cargo room that the XL wheelbase offers. Add an aftermarket tuner and you have yourself a great performing Family Hauler.

For our use...being a semi retired couple that rarely if ever will use the third row seating and towing a 7500 lb boat...our Yukon with standard wheel base and Max Tow option works well for us.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! It feels like you nailed my situation on the head, young family man with two little kids. We are really active, always filling up the vehicle going to do stuff. We have a RZR4 and a boat... Exactly why I am shopping for a new Yukon XL Denali.

I was pretty active on here last September, was going to pull the trigger on one. But I ended up going with an X5. Big mistake. So I'm going to give it to my wife and trade her Jeep in on a Denali for me. I need the space and towing capabilities! Her Grand Cherokee isn't near big enough, but it is serving my towing needs right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssingh1975

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
But I ended up going with an X5.

Hah....u may end up like me ;-) ...I have the diesel X5 and other than the smaller space (compared to the Yukon), I LOVE the ride and diesel torque. If only the Yukons came with the diesel option :-(.

Gdwheel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an X5 and Suburban. They are totally different vehicles. My X5 is my modding vehicle and I drive it for fun. I would not want to use it for hauling, towing, etc., but it sure is sporty and fun to drive. If I could only have one I would choose the Suburban in a heartbeat for the utility and overall package.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great writeup Yukon John - you should list your boat in your sig! Oh and a photo!

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK gotta ask - which one of these do you enjoy and use more? Which do the kids prefer?
Definitely the RZR. It's less expensive, less maintenance and more usable. I'm not really sure which the kids prefer the most, I think they like and dislike each about the same. But the razor is definitely more usable than a boat. We like to go tent camping so we can load up the RZR in a trip or two from where we park the trailer, go up in the mountains and find a spot off the beaten path to camp. It's a family tradition..

The boat we only bought because my parents have one and they have a houseboat too so we can dock at the houseboat after a long day on our boat or theirs and spend the night out there. Still tons of fun, but we can take off on the razor just about any time of the year vs the hour drive to the lake that you can only do like 3 months out of the year here. Oh and I live in New Mexico on the Colorado border, so atvs and side by sides are almost more popular than a car is.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous boat man! That is a serious load there and nice to hear you can maneuver it well with your Yukon.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chadandhistahoe thanks for the info on your RZR vs boat. I'm at a point where I can go either way. I like the year round use of the RZR's. Out here in the East wondering if the 4 up makes sense. I sure have enough riders in my crew! If there is not a towing sticky yet maybe you guys make one showing what everyone is towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC