Remove rear brake rotor that hangs up on e-brake shoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aanold

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just did the back brakes on a 2005 Tahoe and found that as many others have, that the rotors can get hung up on the e-brake shoe even if it's not engaged. I decided that I'd make a video on my method of removal. Hope this helps someone that may search this in the future.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a pretty common issue on all drum brakes, even disc brakes.
On disc brakes you have to back the brake pistons in a bit to get the clearance- tapping the back of the caliper could do it or gently pry the brake rotor toward the caliper through the gap on the caliper itself.
On drums, (which these parking brakes are) the standard procedure is to back the brake adjusters off, but in this case you cannot access that. hammering on the outer edge of the disc is not wise as it can be damaged, warped or hair line cracks form. Also the parking brake shoes can be damaged.
Hammering on the front of it is safer if you can avoid hitting the lugs. Use 2 hammers- place one between 2 lugs and strike it with a second. It may seem counter-intuitive, but hammering inward agitates the shizzle out of the brake shoes causing them to hop onto the ridge that is holding the drum on as the brake drum rebounds from your strike.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good info but longgggg video, that could be cropped way down to about 30-60 seconds with the same results, lol just sayin..... I mean 8:41 seconds to just say "bang on it with a dead blow" and be sure the ebrake is off and retainer bolt removed (if so equipped)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie