Remove old and install new adjustable cam bushings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed there old bushings and installed new cam bushings in there upper control arms?

How did you do it?

Thanks

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since no one has done this, I'll give everyone a little advise. Have them pressed in by a professional :)

This is for installing only, removing the OE bushings was rather easy with my home made jig.

I used both some of my jig parts as well as a rented press from my local auto store.

I attempted to install my new alignment bushings into my new upper control arms this afternoon. It did not go very well. I got one arm pretty much finished up, needs a little tweaking but they're in. Of course the bushing is a little damaged as is the outter washer. I'm hoping they'll work as I am prepping to drop my Tahoe tomorrow and Saturday.

I have an appointment at my local dealer tomorrow morning at 9:30 to have the other two pressed in. He said he wont charge me anything but to throw a bone to the mechanic who will do them. Sounds good to me.

That's my alignment bushing rant :cheers:

Ava.cop.out

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the same issue. can someone chime in on this as I believe my mechanic F***** it up as well told him I would buy new ones and upper arms and try it again? He told me as I watched; that the pieces they give you to press in and out are made too cheap and the first set was ok but they opened up and caused lots of problems for the next two same badly damaged end washer piece no problems 1000km later but didn't look right don't want to waste my money and time again without better instructions as well. Thanks
hope Tony Norcal can chime in on this Please

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I called a buddy who thankfully has a press. Just got home and the installation of the last two went well and adjusted the first to to the specs from BTs instructions.

This is what gets me. Bell Tech sells these kits but does not state or include in any of the directions about an installation tool, it says "requires specialty tools" and this "The follow steps require special bushing press equipment and should only be performed by a professional with such equipment.".
The BT tool IS needed to install these bushings. OR, you can use a socket that fits the diameter of the inner sleeve to press them in as well.

I'm also not sure if the outer washer is supposed to be removed while pressing in or what. Its not stated in the directions.

Another observation is the bushing itself. It seems rather soft. I'd love to have a better quality bushing in its place. Maybe Poly, if its even available.

Ava, I don't think the product is cheap by any means. The bushing is rubber, if you do not use the tool specifically made by BT its going to squish all over the place and more than likely get damaged.You can see the tools in this add. Second row in between the bushings and cam plates.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/390964753002?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Ava.cop.out

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah I used those specifically and they distorted in the process that's the cheaply made part is the press kit :biggun:

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the tool is cheap?
Gotcha. I made one section of the tool and used a socket for installing (the second set) the first set using the rental tool didn't go so well.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I ordered new bushings.
I was not happy with the install of the first set.
Both outer washers and bushings were damaged. Fixing the washer was not a problem but the bushing is damaged too much and I cant drive around with it in its state and feel good.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't the control arm with adjustable bushing be purchased as a complete unit? I believe somebody has these available.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do not have them available for GMT900 models.
If they did, I'd be rolling already haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33