Remove Bearing from Hub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I cant seem to see how the bearing comes out of the front hub on my 2008 LTZ. Is it possible to remove the bearing from the front hub, or do I have to replace the whole hub?

Thanks!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 bolts on the back side of the knuckle. and the if your a 4x4 the axle nut has to come off.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to see how the bearing comes out of the front hub on my 2008 LTZ. Is it possible to remove the bearing from the front hub, or do I have to replace the whole hub?

Thanks!
the hub is a complete assembly, you would need a nice machine shop and some fancy calipers and stuff to rebuild a hub if it could even be done.

OP
OP
R

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the hub is a complete assembly, you would need a nice machine shop and some fancy calipers and stuff to rebuild a hub if it could even be done.
I kinda figured that. Was thinking I could save a few bucks if I could pull the old bearing out and press a new one in. Thanks for the reply!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda figured that. Was thinking I could save a few bucks if I could pull the old bearing out and press a new one in. Thanks for the reply!
ya if they were rebuild-able then the parts stores would be charging cores and selling remanufactured ones., you can save the abs sensor if it is good, I've had new replacements be bad before.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive torn hubs open, the ring gear inside gets rusted up and the sensor cant read it no more a lot of the time.

this one was making the car pull left pretty hard all the time. was leaning towards a bad brake line or caliper till that all came off and it was super hard to turn it.

bad hub.JPG

OP
OP
R

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I changed both the hubs/bearing and I still have a howling from the front passenger side. When driving down the road, I sway the truck to the left and the passenger side gets really loud, when I go the other way it almost goes away. Not sure what else it could be. The bearings in the axle its self seem fine...Any ideas?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I changed both the hubs/bearing and I still have a howling from the front passenger side. When driving down the road, I sway the truck to the left and the passenger side gets really loud, when I go the other way it almost goes away. Not sure what else it could be. The bearings in the axle its self seem fine...Any ideas?
brakes? / caliper?, front differential?, are you sure the sound is coming from the front? these trucks can carry sounds and they will sound like it is coming from one place when it is really coming from somewhere else, one thing that could be making noise is a rear wheel bearing as well, or even a pinion bearing or u-joints. maybe even try rotating the tires.

OP
OP
R

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
brakes? / caliper?, front differential?, are you sure the sound is coming from the front? these trucks can carry sounds and they will sound like it is coming from one place when it is really coming from somewhere else, one thing that could be making noise is a rear wheel bearing as well, or even a pinion bearing or u-joints. maybe even try rotating the tires.

I had all 4 wheels off the ground and was under the truck trying to replicate the sounds and nothing. All brakes were taken apart, greased up and put back together. Rotated the tires. I turned each wheel and listened everywhere with a stethoscope. Differential was rebuilt a year ago so I don't think its coming from there..

I'm just gonna keep an ear out and wait for it to get worse...

I really appriciate all the replies and feed back!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu