Relearning after new exhaust installed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
I just installed the Borla GM exhaust on my 2017 Z71 Tahoe. FWIW, I love the sound - it was exactly what I was looking for. Not too loud, but loud enough to hear the engine.

I've noticed the average fuel mileage displayed in the info center is about 1 mpg lower since installing the exhaust. I've driven about 60 miles since installing. Do I need to do some reset or will the computer relearn automatically?

I'm sure a small part of the change is taking off faster a few times to hear the exhaust, but I wouldn't think it would have been that much.

Unit171

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No answers?? I’m curious too bc I’m about to order mine

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
No answers?? I’m curious too bc I’m about to order mine

I ended up taking the negative terminal off the battery for 30 minutes. It seemed to get better gas mileage after that but that could have also just been resetting the gas mileage. I figured it didn't hurt anything to try it. I ended up putting on bigger tires, so I ordered a Hypertech programmer so in the end that will help re-program the computer anyway.

I am very happy with the exhaust.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you may have been driving to sound of exhaust ;)

that always brings it down a bit.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
you may have been driving to sound of exhaust ;)

that always brings it down a bit.

Oh yeah I definitely was the first few days. Then for a few days I made a point to drive normal, and my 50 mile average was still lower than normal.

Rick Simons

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Seems like I have the same situation, but I have been listening to the motor and feeling the new trans shift quite a bit. Next up is a programmer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic