Reduced engine power, service stabilitrak, service traction control.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OregonDuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
07 Tahoe

Reduced engine power, stabilitrak service, and traction control service showed up on my informations center. Cleaned the throttle body, checked throttle body wiring harness and other wires, checked the gas pedal connection, and detached the battery. Still no luck.

I can drive a few miles and the car acts fine, then suddenly the reduced engine power alert shows up and I can't accelerate over 40 mph. In one instance I came to a stop, the engine began to shake and the engine stalled. It took a few minutes for me to be able to start it.

I'm afraid to drive it to an auto parts store to get the codes since it may stall again, I also don't want to do any further damage to the vehicle.

Tempted to order a new throttle body assembly and install it to save some money, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, without getting the codes, you're just going to be throwing money at it. It could be very simple, as easy as cleaning the battery cables, but again, without the codes, there's not much to go on, not even what year/model you have.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Reduced engine power, stabilitrak service, and traction control service showed up on my informations center. Cleaned the throttle body, checked throttle body wiring harness and other wires, checked the gas pedal connection, and detached the battery. Still no luck.

I can drive a few miles and the car acts fine, then suddenly the reduced engine power alert shows up and I can't accelerate over 40 mph. In one instance I came to a stop, the engine began to shake and the engine stalled. It took a few minutes for me to be able to start it.

I'm afraid to drive it to an auto parts store to get the codes since it may stall again, I also don't want to do any further damage to the vehicle.

Tempted to order a new throttle body assembly and install it to save some money, but there is no guarantee that it will work.

Any suggestions?

Like CrashTestDummy said, don't start throwing parts at it. A parts store is not going to damage anything just by retrieving codes. And whatever you do, do not come back here with the same old, "I think the guy said it was this code." Write down the code numbers and what they stand for and then come back here. I am in Eugene and may be able to point you to a shop if needed. Sounds like could be restricted exhaust-not likely, possible oxygen sensor problems and maybe even fuel pump. Have you had a dead battery or unhooked battery recently? I cannot say this enough, don't stress so quick and start throwing parts at a problem.

OP
OP
O

OregonDuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Like CrashTestDummy said, don't start throwing parts at it. A parts store is not going to damage anything just by retrieving codes. And whatever you do, do not come back here with the same old, "I think the guy said it was this code." Write down the code numbers and what they stand for and then come back here. I am in Eugene and may be able to point you to a shop if needed. Sounds like could be restricted exhaust-not likely, possible oxygen sensor problems and maybe even fuel pump. Have you had a dead battery or unhooked battery recently? I cannot say this enough, don't stress so quick and start throwing parts at a problem.

I have an appt with my mechanic on Friday. Just wanted to see if there were any minor issues that people have encountered that don't require new parts. I didn't want to drive it to an auto parts store because last time I drove it, it stalled in the middle of an intersection. My mechanic is right around the corner.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Closer is better if you get the codes there. Not preaching but it would help in the future that you say things like "don't want to drive to parts store and then state why", makes the reasoning and info flow much better.

OP
OP
O

OregonDuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Closer is better if you get the codes there. Not preaching but it would help in the future that you say things like "don't want to drive to parts store and then state why", makes the reasoning and info flow much better.

I did, I said that I didn't want to because it may stall again and that I didn't want to do any further damage to the engine.

Anyway, I guess it threw up over 15 codes, O2 sensor, tps, stabilitrak, etc. My mechanic said the computer may need to be reflashed or it could be a grounding issue. I just hope it doesn't get too expensive.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a grounding issue, the first thing you need to replace is the main ground cable to the battery. Search here, many threads on it and it's easy to do yourself. It's a common problem

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I did, I said that I didn't want to because it may stall again and that I didn't want to do any further damage to the engine.

Anyway, I guess it threw up over 15 codes, O2 sensor, tps, stabilitrak, etc. My mechanic said the computer may need to be reflashed or it could be a grounding issue. I just hope it doesn't get too expensive.

Sorry my point was not clear. It could die at any intersection. Your point of the driving to the parts store was lost on me. All is good.

TTA579

Reaction score
07 Tahoe

Any suggestions?

#1 Purchase a code reader. These sorts of things are never going to happen when you're stopping by your mechanic's place for a friendly chat. They're going to happen while you're in the middle of something else.

#2 Just had the same thing happen to me. My issue happens to be the TPS correlation error and a simple $130 throttle body replacement via Amazon.