Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some more underneath shots of the clearances. It was nearly perfect everywhere. These have dual 3" midpipes going all the way back to the point where the factory dual pipes go into the dual-in, single-out Flowmaster.

IMG_6792.JPG

IMG_6793.JPG

IMG_6794.JPG

IMG_6795.JPG

IMG_6797.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a real ***** getting things into place at a few spots but once in place, it all lined up perfect. I really was amazed. I planned on having it done today and I almost succeeded but tomorrow it will be running and I can't wait to see what it sounds like!

IMG_6798.JPG

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6803.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have an issue with the dipstick tube. I got a second Dorman (free warranty exchange) and decided there is no way it will go back anywhere even close to the way it originally was with these headers. So I removed the mount bracket since it will be useless and tried bending the tube so it would just go into the hole and end up where I could get the dipstick in and it started breaking again at the same place. I have an OEM one on order and will be here Tuesday.
I got everything else back together this morning and fired it up. Sounds good but I was expecting it to be louder honestly. There was a ton of white smoke coming from the tailpipe that freaked me out until I read up and found out it's normal for the first day or 2. No leaks of any kind so I'm happy with that. Does kind of sound badass when I give it some gas but I still haven't driven it yet. I'm going to install the wheels and grill and go for a test drive an awhile.

IMG_6811.JPG

IMG_6813.JPG

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those headers look great, what muffler do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went for a test drive and it does sound better; before when I hit WOT it had a weird sound that sounded like it wasn't able to push out all the exhaust it needed to and now it sounds like it's breathing better. Seems to rev faster too and acceleration is a bit quicker. I think when I get the cam in it will wake up the exhaust more also. I also got my billet front emblem in and installed it this morning. Looks way better than the old beat-up one.

IMG_6805.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6807.JPG

IMG_6809.JPG

IMG_6810.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I need some advice. I was installing my headers today and of course shit happened as always. I had to remove the oil dipstick tube and of course the old one was rusted in place and broke when I was trying to remove it, leaving a piece in the block where it slides in. I fought like hell and got that rusted pos out and bought a Dorman replacement which didn't want to go in. As I was twisting it and trying to get it in, the end of THAT pos broke off in the hole. But now the headers are in place so it's a real ***** to get to, and as I was trying to use a long lag bolt to try to get ahold of it, it decided to disappear down the friggin' hole. My question is- isn't that piece now in the oil pan? (I drained the oil and tried putting a magnet into the pan through the drain hole but nothing) And if it's in the pan isn't it safe? The sump has a screen that will keep it from picking up something large like that, correct or not? I don't want to have to drop the pan if I don't have to, but if I need to I will. Thanks. I'll post pics of the header install when I'm done. They are installed, I just need to put everything else back together and figure out this damn dipstick. The headers are in the way of the damn thing and it's being a real *****.
Boy I wrote that post when I was grumpy! No wonder nobody was willing to offer any advice. They don't call me grumpy old man at work for nothing.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks. Not sure if it was worth the money but my oem one was messed up and even a new one of those is about the same price.
The billet will probably hold up better than a painted one, so probably a good investment.

Sent from iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC