Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today it was near 100 degrees and on my commute home traffic was heavy. I noticed my temp starting to climb again so I pulled over and checked the e-fans and they weren't working again. Checked the relays for any signs of overheating but they looked good so I checked the harness fuses and both the 40 amp fuses were blown. Damn. There was an O'reilley's across the way so I replaced them and all was well. I just ordered a pair of 8-gauge 50-amp **** fuse holders and ring terminals so hopefully I can keep this from happening. Damn fans are drawing a lot of power when they're both running.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and have a second upstream bung added on bank 1 of the headers for my wideband sensor so my AFR readings will be more accurate. Got that welded in today and I tested the exhaust manifold bolts that aren't broken to see if any more would break as I'm trying to remove them and surprisingly they all broke loose. I have 3 broken ones- 2 rear and one front. I have the Dorman clamps on hand to take care of that problem though so I won't need to extract the broken studs in the rear at least since there's no room unless I was to use the welding technique, since I don't weld. The front one I'll try to drill and use an extractor and if I fail I have the clamp. I crawled around under the truck today and measured for the headers and it looks like they'll clear the crossmember but it will be close. These don't have a Y-pipe, they have 2 separate 3" pipes that connect at the stock piece where they go into my double in, single out muffler. Just like the stock Denali system. So my plan is to install the headers tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous but after checking the exhaust bolts I feel better. I just don't want to get into a situation where the heads have to come off obviously, especially with the blower. As far as the downstream O2 sensors, I have 2 new ones ready to install if Blackbear ever gets back to me to say if they'll work ok.

GMT_99_6.0_600x.png

IMG_6772.JPG

IMG_6773.JPG

IMG_6775.JPG

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and have a second upstream bung added on bank 1 of the headers for my wideband sensor so my AFR readings will be more accurate. Got that welded in today and I tested the exhaust manifold bolts that aren't broken to see if any more would break as I'm trying to remove them and surprisingly they all broke loose. I have 3 broken ones- 2 rear and one front. I have the Dorman clamps on hand to take care of that problem though so I won't need to extract the broken studs in the rear at least since there's no room unless I was to use the welding technique, since I don't weld. The front one I'll try to drill and use an extractor and if I fail I have the clamp. I crawled around under the truck today and measured for the headers and it looks like they'll clear the crossmember but it will be close. These don't have a Y-pipe, they have 2 separate 3" pipes that connect at the stock piece where they go into my double in, single out muffler. Just like the stock Denali system. So my plan is to install the headers tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous but after checking the exhaust bolts I feel better. I just don't want to get into a situation where the heads have to come off obviously, especially with the blower. As far as the downstream O2 sensors, I have 2 new ones ready to install if Blackbear ever gets back to me to say if they'll work ok.

GMT_99_6.0_600x.png

View attachment 86678

View attachment 86679

View attachment 86680
That's a really sweet setup on those headers. Will those Doorman clamps work on headers?

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really sweet setup on those headers. Will those Doorman clamps work on headers?
Yep. They just mount into pre-existing bolt holes in the heads and then the ones that hold the flange to the head just thread through the clamps and onto the flange hole in the manifold or header. My header flanges are as thick as the oem ones. Just mount the clamps to the head and then crank down the other bolt until the header is tight.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I need some advice. I was installing my headers today and of course shit happened as always. I had to remove the oil dipstick tube and of course the old one was rusted in place and broke when I was trying to remove it, leaving a piece in the block where it slides in. I fought like hell and got that rusted pos out and bought a Dorman replacement which didn't want to go in. As I was twisting it and trying to get it in, the end of THAT pos broke off in the hole. But now the headers are in place so it's a real ***** to get to, and as I was trying to use a long lag bolt to try to get ahold of it, it decided to disappear down the friggin' hole. My question is- isn't that piece now in the oil pan? (I drained the oil and tried putting a magnet into the pan through the drain hole but nothing) And if it's in the pan isn't it safe? The sump has a screen that will keep it from picking up something large like that, correct or not? I don't want to have to drop the pan if I don't have to, but if I need to I will. Thanks. I'll post pics of the header install when I'm done. They are installed, I just need to put everything else back together and figure out this damn dipstick. The headers are in the way of the damn thing and it's being a real *****.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to update progress so far. I removed the wheels and inner fender liners for access. Here's pics of the old midpipes, removing the old exhaust manifolds and trying to drill a broken bolt on the passenger side and failing. I tried an easy out called Grab-It and it was a failure. I actuallt had a different bolt starting to back out with a pair of vise-grips on the protruding stud but then it broke off. I had no luck at all removing the broken bolt studs so lucky that I prepared by getting the Dorman clamps. I did manage to get the broken dipstick tube out.

IMG_6776.JPG

IMG_6778.JPG

IMG_6781.JPG

IMG_6783.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's some pics of the passenger header installed with the Dorman clamps in the front and rear which is where the bolts broke; the middle ones came out OK. The last shot is the clearance at the oil pan. These headers were actually pretty amazing to me as to how well they fit. I was nervous, and after measuring and checking I decided it was too close to call if I'd have any problems and decided to trust what ARH told me, that they would fit my Denali. They were right, they cleared everything (the dipstick tube has yet to be determined, I think I'll have to modify it) and both midpipes connected into the stock exhaust just like the originals and used the stock hangers.

IMG_6786.JPG

IMG_6787.JPG

IMG_6788.JPG

IMG_6789.JPG

IMG_6791.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep