Recommend replacement 3rd brake light? Dorman any good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the 3rd brake light (AKA Center High Mount Stop Light or CHMSL for short) doesn't work on my 'Burb. I can't remember if it ever worked (hard to check when I'm the only one who drives it!) but it definitely doesn't work now.

I pulled the light out and checked the circuit to make sure it was getting power. Sure enough, 12v are visible at the light plug so that means it's got to be the light.

O'Reilly and Auto Zone want something like $65 for a replacement, which seems redonkulus to me. I see there are various ones on Amazon for around $25 but they have really spotty reviews. Seems like the quality on these cheap replacement parts is hit-or-miss.

This one from Dorman is about $40.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYQB14/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=II1OSZGISYM4G&colid=29PHGCD6GGEP&psc=0

Does anyone have one and if you do, can you comment on how well it's made? Or does anyone have any other recommendations for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance!

smcnair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced with a Dorman a few years ago. Replacing again. Light is dim now.

OP
OP
Martinjmpr

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Was it a straight plug-and-play replacement?

Ha, I didn't even notice that it was smoke. As long as it works I'm good with it either way. My 'Burb is white, too, so I think the smoke will look fine.

Yes, just plug it in. They have it in 4 color combos. Mine is smoke. Looks cleaner to me with no red up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14