Rebuilding front suspension - how far to go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to the extent of replacing everything? I am also new to this platform and never installed arms or struts.
I've been gathering parts for some time now and wish I had more time in a day to install.
I have everything accept tie rods and hub assemblies.

suspension-2.jpg suspension-1.jpg

jrobie79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone to the extent of replacing everything? I am also new to this platform and never installed arms or struts.
I've been gathering parts for some time now and wish I had more time in a day to install.
I have everything accept tie rods and hub assemblies.

I replaced nearly everything except the steering rack & springs on the front end (nor ride sensors) on my 2011 Escalade. New shocks, new upper & lower CA's, tie rod ends (both), swap bar links, front wheel bearing/hubs. Up next is the brake system, and possible a new steering rack or figured out a way to fix the ****** rubber bushing that is worn.

On a scale of 1-10, my install was technically a 5 (I have a lift and a full garage worth of tools to work with) but I would actually rate it a 9 because I couldn't get the FU***NG upper control arm bolts out for the life of me. I soaked and heated and soaked and heated them till the cows came home, they just wouldn't budge from the rubber bushing, it was a nightmare. Once I got everything out I'd say the re installation only took an hour and a half. I would suggest if you're changing struts to have a shop do it, those springs are no joke.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced nearly everything except the steering rack & springs on the front end (nor ride sensors) on my 2011 Escalade. New shocks, new upper & lower CA's, tie rod ends (both), swap bar links, front wheel bearing/hubs. Up next is the brake system, and possible a new steering rack or figured out a way to fix the ****** rubber bushing that is worn.

On a scale of 1-10, my install was technically a 5 (I have a lift and a full garage worth of tools to work with) but I would actually rate it a 9 because I couldn't get the FU***NG upper control arm bolts out for the life of me. I soaked and heated and soaked and heated them till the cows came home, they just wouldn't budge from the rubber bushing, it was a nightmare. Once I got everything out I'd say the re installation only took an hour and a half. I would suggest if you're changing struts to have a shop do it, those springs are no joke.

Thanks man, I appreciate you taking the timeout to respond. Very helpful.
I have the tools just not the lift, haha. I've been a driveway tech for as long as I can remember.
Where do you live? I ask because I wonder if weather has anything to do with how they break in over time.
I ended up getting a spring compressor. I've done springs in the past and am not too worried about them. More for my free travel mod

Anyone upgrade their tie rods with sleeves or the bigger ones for the 2500s?

I was going to ask about this as well. I was looking at aftermarket beefy ones. I had sleeves for my 99 and they were great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts