Rebuilding front suspension - how far to go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rig's got 130k miles on her and the front end seems all original, except for the recently replaced struts and hub bearing assemblies. I'm planning to replace my upper & lower control arms before long, as ball joints are worn, so it got me wondering how far to go with the rebuild planning.

I'm new to this platform and rebuilding the suspension, so I'd love to hear from those who have replaced upper & lower control arms in terms of what you wish in hindsight you'd replaced along the way.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the steering too- Pitman arm, tie rod ends, idler arm, idler arm bracket. Also upgraded the swaybar and end links and associated bushings. There's not much else to do after that. Mine was at 145k and I'd think you're due for steering components too; might as well get it all done at once, get it aligned once and be done with it. I also added a steering stabilizer at the same time, a KYB that was only about $45. Night and day difference after all that.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the steering too- Pitman arm, tie rod ends, idler arm, idler arm bracket. Also upgraded the swaybar and end links and associated bushings. There's not much else to do after that. Mine was at 145k and I'd think you're due for steering components too; might as well get it all done at once, get it aligned once and be done with it. I also added a steering stabilizer at the same time, a KYB that was only about $45. Night and day difference after all that.

You have confirmed what I was pondering, and it's good to hear from someone who's already been down the road before.

Please tell me more about the steering stabilizer, and describe the improvement once the steering stabilizer is added.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is like a shock absorber and it connects between the frame and the steering shaft. It keeps the steering from being affected as much by the road grooves, etc. You don't tend to wander as much, especially if you have big tires or wheels.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is all this pretty easy DIY?

Pretty easy for someone who already knows what he's doing---probably a 4 or 5 on a Difficulty Scale of 1-10. But for a guy like me, who doesn't have all the proper tools and has never done such a rebuild, it's pretty challenging---more like a 7.

I'm trying to plan it all out. I guess I'll decide whether to bite the bullet and try it on my own or bite the bullet and pay someone to do it. :confused:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't make one for my Denali either but the KYB works, just have to modify the mount. I'm sure you can make one work on a 07-14.

I have the KYB one in the garage waiting for install. IIRC you only need to drill one new hole correct? A quick picture would be great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy