Rear wiper fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmith85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After searching the internet on possible fixes, I found the rear window schematic *found this later* - http://www.tahoeforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1568&d=1198849342 to find which wire is what. One post I found online was that the ORANGE wire was the ground, which sounded kind of weird. The weirdest part was I spliced it, sent an additional wire to a ground on the hatch, AND IT WORKED! Which it had not worked for quit some time. After a little bit it stopped working and I started looking at it again.

I attempted to ground it to the hatch by using a circle crimp connector on the bolts holding the wiper stop onto the hatch. I quickly found the wire melting its protective coating off and wondered what the hell happened. Searched the internet and found the schematic listed above. I reconnected the ORANGE POWER wire and cut the BLACK ground wire, splicing in another ground that I attached to the same wiper stop. I turned on the wiper, everything worked fine. Turned on the rear defrost, wiper stopped. So I think grounding it on the hatch was having some interference with the wiring of the defrost. I could turn off the defrost and the wiper would work...

I took the spliced ground wire and attached it to the metal body of the wiper assembly using the torx screw to hold it into place. Turned on the vehicle, checked the wiper and it worked fine. I turned on the defrost and it continued to work. I tried it several times to ensure it would still work and both continued working.

Good luck

Last edited:

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your wiper work intermittently or just not work at all?

Mine is generally working most of the time, however sometimes I will have to go back there and give it a nudge to get it moving again.

Just curious if you had that issue...

Thanks,
Ryan

Grebbler

Parts is parts...
Reaction score
If you nudging it then I would suspect shaft corrosion.

With wiper motor off manually pull up on the arm. There should be a small amount of easy play (1/4 inch or so). If the play feels stiff you need to disassemble the motor unit, clean and re-lube the shaft.

ltdan

Reaction score
Anyone ever had an issue with the rear wiper "pulsating" after its turned off? Even after the car is off.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk 2

Johnb21

Reaction score
Anyone ever had an issue with the rear wiper "pulsating" after its turned off? Even after the car is off.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk 2
I have the same pulsating issue. Any ideas? Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu