Rear lift gate button problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baker58

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys i have 2008 tahoe LTZ with a power rear lift gate that does not work... at times haha. The lift gate will open... but the button on the gate will not work to cause the gate to lower. But maybe once a month, i will hit the button and it will work. but its very rare!

Has anyone hade this problem? Or is this a common problem with this model?

Thanks in advance guys!

glockz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had nothing but issues with our power lift gate. Now when it opens it's going too high with a clunk and must disengage cause the button won't operate to lower it. It was like clockwork that the issues started as soon as it came out of warranty!

It's going back in on Tuesday...will let you know what they come up with.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Mine doesnt even open or close with any buttons, i have to do it manually...when i open it manually now the rear latch just makes a bunch of loud noises...

glockz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine doesnt even open or close with any buttons, i have to do it manually...when i open it manually now the rear latch just makes a bunch of loud noises...

Mine started with that issue...there was a TSB for faulty wiring that rubs on the roof panel. That fixed that issue but now a month later it won't go down.

One thing you can try is disconnect the battery terminal for about 10-15 minutes...that will reset the module...it worked on ours when it would start acting crazy. Can't hurt to give it a try.

shundal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had the same problem on our escalade. While the lift gate is opening and i press the button at anytime before it goes fully up, the liftgate will actually lower properly. But when you let the lift gate go all the way up, and then press the button, you just hear the motor moving, and it just sits there. I tried to fix it a few times and just gave up , hoping there is an easy fix.

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
im going to take a video with my phone and show you guys how retarded mine is acting...it literally sounds like its dying...the loudest noises come from the latch!

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have 2008 tahoe LTZ with a power rear lift gate that does not work... at times haha. The lift gate will open... but the button on the gate will not work to cause the gate to lower. But maybe once a month, i will hit the button and it will work. but its very rare!

Thanks in advance guys!

Baker58,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Tahoe vehicle. This may be related to the liftgate control module. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for additional assistance.

Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
So my gate wasnt working anymore when i pressed on the button on the remote, or on my console inside...i could open it manually in the rear handle, and it would lift itself via the shock...and make a bunch of loud noises from the latch...

I replaced the rear latch, part number 13581405, and it got quiet...now the gate opens and closes up and down automatically with the button...

I think the rear latch was working fine, as the door would shut and release open, but it was sending wrong signals to the power lift gate motor when to start pushing the door up and down...

Hope this helps...

loosid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks in advance guys!

have you fixed this problem. i found out that the liftgate latch on tahoes go bad after time. i bought the replacement online from gmparts.com for around 170/180. 3 bolts and 15 mins later, repaired my problem.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

i had this problem last year. i bought the motor for the liftgate at the tune of 300 from the dealer, which did nothing. i ended up leaving it alone for about a year. i finally took it into the dealer to have it scanned and the rear cpu reprogrammed. nada.. they advised me that the rear latch goes bad and gets stuck on most automatic liftgate models. they could replace it at the tune of 570... i ordered a rear liftgate latch from gmparts.com. 3 bolts, 1 plug and 15 mins later, my 500 fiasco was fixed. replace the rear liftgate latch and this will fix this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne