Rear DVD flip down screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgorman1033

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat you went through. I ordered a new cable from eBay. Fingers crossed.

What did you end up doing?

OP
OP
S

swabbot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually took the unit apart, reversed the cable (monitor / unit), which reversed / relocated the bend in the wire... and it's been working since. I was about to attempt to count the # of pins on the ribbon cable..but gave the reversal a try. Essentially you need to count the number of pins, and measure the spacing. Then order from ebay. If the cable you ordered works, please post a link to what you purchased...as my fix is most likely temporary. Good luck!

langston1726

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did anyone find a replacement ribbon cable that will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DBlake37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I have the same problem with the flip down screens in my 2015 Suburban. Can anyone share any details on their repair or links to parts and pictures?

Buffalobernie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I actually took the unit apart, reversed the cable (monitor / unit), which reversed / relocated the bend in the wire... and it's been working since. I was about to attempt to count the # of pins on the ribbon cable..but gave the reversal a try. Essentially you need to count the number of pins, and measure the spacing. Then order from ebay. If the cable you ordered works, please post a link to what you purchased...as my fix is most likely temporary. Good luck!

I did the same and reversed the ribbon and it now works great! I did order a new ribbon just in case it goes bad. It took about 15 minutes to complete and i am not any kind of mechanic or anything.

Buffalobernie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think I have the same problem with the flip down screens in my 2015 Suburban. Can anyone share any details on their repair or links to parts and pictures?

I took down the unit 4 screws and 2 plugs. Once I had it down I took of the cover removed 6 screws on each side. I then took of the ribbon and reversed it to change the position of the creases. now works great! I did order a new ribbon just in case it goes bad. It’s just a standard 40pin ribbon. It took about 15 minutes to complete and i am not any kind of mechanic or anything.

jason952

Reaction score
Same problem here. How does it come out of the roof? Any link to the cable?

jason952

Reaction score
Update to my own post. There are 2 ribbons wires and I flipped both of them. Easy to take apart. Works great now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike N

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but tried flipping the larger ribbon cable and the solution worked on my 2015 SLT. It did take a bit longer than 15 minutes but was pretty straight forward. I did break a few clips prying off the back of the monitor but enough survived that it did not affect the unit going back together just fine. To note, there are long covers for the first 4 screws you need to pop off first. Be very careful disconnecting the wiring as you go. One last step I needed to do was take the back cover off the screen and then detach the screen to get better access to where the cable plugs in. Flip up the tiny black locking mechanism at the very base of the cable on both ends and the cable pops right out. When you get the cable back in, just push that little mechanism back down.

Chubbsy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 2nd row rear flip down screen in my 2015 suburban stopped working. The third row screen (and first row in park) work just fine. If I slowly open or close the screen, the movie will come on, but move the screen too much and it turns off. My guess the connection has come loose, or the ribbon wire has broken. Anybody have similar issues? Thanks in advance.

I disassembled the dvd unit. Turns out it's the ribbon cable that went bad. Anyone have any suggestions where i can find a 40 pin flat ribbon cable?

I'm sure u figured it out but here is a good but inexpensive replacement cable. Good luck. ✌
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079G684SY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_VWPT611X0AWB9QKCEXQX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9