Rear Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Quigley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their rear differential go? i had some loud tire hum in the rear end for a little bit then the other day it felt like my axle wasn't releasing. Took it to my local garage and he said all the internals need to be replaced... anyone else?!

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My MIL had one lock up on an old Ford LTD. It was nothing nice. But I digress, no I got rid of my 99 Burb before my rear differential "hum" turned into a nightmare.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the typical Gov-Bomb "soft" failure. This type of failure is common to the rear ends that haven't had the fluid replaced like it should. Some people luck up and have it survive well enough by just cleaning the diff really well and replacing the fluid (can't forget the friction modifier). If it's toast, now's the time to upgrade. There are far better designs than the Gov-Lock for not much more cost.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I grenaded one on my OBS. Was not pretty, or quiet. I bought a used rear end for $400.

Chetrick87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is in for that right now. New carrier is going in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01