Rear Differential issue Rebuild or Swap W Boneyard rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
It sounded like mine did. My pinion bearing was shot. Leaking out the front of the rear diff. With the drive shaft removed, did you try grabbing the yoke and try shaking it about? Mine was clunking. When driving it would sound like it’s grinding but if I let off the gas, the noise would change and come back again when I hit the gas. When you changed your fluid, how did the magnet look? Was it ***** with a bunch of shavings on the magnet? It’s possibe you have a pinion bearing that’s on its way out.
I was going to rebuild mine and do it myself. I decided not to because I don’t have the proper tools for setting the diff up and figured it would be less involved just buy swapping the entire rear End. I found the entire rear end for my truck at a local boneyard of a 73k or so avalanche for $675.

EA273AD5-8D45-41B9-A471-447F3779B1EF.jpeg 667F0C72-522E-4832-90DD-BD9CA13E83A3.jpeg BC6109D3-F334-434D-8EB1-D779D6D05801.jpeg

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
It sounded like mine did. My pinion bearing was shot. Leaking out the front of the rear diff. With the drive shaft removed, did you try grabbing the yoke and try shaking it about? Mine was clunking. When driving it would sound like it’s grinding but if I let off the gas, the noise would change and come back again when I hit the gas. When you changed your fluid, how did the magnet look? Was it ***** with a bunch of shavings on the magnet? It’s possibe you have a pinion bearing that’s on its way out.
I was going to rebuild mine and do it myself. I decided not to because I don’t have the proper tools for setting the diff up and figured it would be less involved just buy swapping the entire rear End. I found the entire rear end for my truck at a local boneyard of a 73k or so avalanche for $675.

View attachment 198108 View attachment 198109 View attachment 198110
No it's constant regardless of speed it's just faster as I go faster, and only in drive no sound in reverse? So I'm not 100% till the cover comes off what it is

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've broke 2 g80 rearebds in my 01 suburban.they both were problems with the posi carrier disintegrating.so I bought a true Trac and rebuilt the rest and haven't looked back.my truck was completely stock and the diffs went.the governor carrier posis just seem like junk

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
I've broke 2 g80 rearebds in my 01 suburban.they both were problems with the posi carrier disintegrating.so I bought a true Trac and rebuilt the rest and haven't looked back.my truck was completely stock and the diffs went.the governor carrier posis just seem like junk
I changed my mind and I’m getting a junkyard rear I will keep the old one to fix it probably do a total rebuild and change the carrier to something more durable I like the way the G80 works but your right it’s a weak link. The Yukon has 278000 miles on it so it was bound to fail

01subCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
300 is good price for used.and if you wanted to get yours rebuilt you could probably shop the parts on your own to save money.then just pay a local shop to do your install.i bought all my parts for alittle over 500 then paid a local shop that only did drivetrain repairs 300.that was with a bearing kit and new gears an true Trac position.but I got a deal on my true Trac because it was an open box sale

OP
OP
K

KR66

Reaction score
300 is good price for used.and if you wanted to get yours rebuilt you could probably shop the parts on your own to save money.then just pay a local shop to do your install.i bought all my parts for alittle over 500 then paid a local shop that only did drivetrain repairs 300.that was with a bearing kit and new gears an true Trac position.but I got a deal on my true Trac because it was an open box sale
The guy selling the $300 one isn’t getting back to me so I have to get one from a bone yard they want $400 + $50 core I’m gonna pay the core so I can rebuild the old one in the future

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17