Rear diff. oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dslman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello I'm wanting to change the oil in the rear differential of my 2005 Tahoe Z71. There is a torsion bar plus a stabilizer bar that goes across from one side to the other,,,,do these need to be removed to get the cover off? It looks to me like they would have to as there doesn't look like enough room to remove the diff cover. And if so where do I remove them at? Just asking questions so I don't have to do steps backwards.

Thank you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put jack stands on the frame and let the differential hang down you'll have enough clearance to work. Pull the spare too.

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with rusty diff cover bolts? Mine looks like they might disenigrate if i try to turn them.

Also looks like i have a drain plug on the bottom

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with rusty diff cover bolts? Mine looks like they might disenigrate if i try to turn them.

Also looks like i have a drain plug on the bottom
Just work it like any other rusted bolt. Put penetrating oil on it and let it sit. Wipe it down and hit it with a torch. Then slowly turn it to break it loose. If it snaps oh well; drill it out and get a new bolt.

If you have a drain plug that would be much easier. Just use that and you're golden.

NvrMnd85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just work it like any other rusted bolt. Put penetrating oil on it and let it sit. Wipe it down and hit it with a torch. Then slowly turn it to break it loose. If it snaps oh well; drill it out and get a new bolt.

If you have a drain plug that would be much easier. Just use that and you're golden.
Yea it think im gonna have to. The poor g80 doesn't like to unlock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilburMN