rear defrost not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apgocolts

Reaction score
So i have a 2003 yukon xl and my rear defrost is not working. when i push the button the light comes on and i can hear what i believe is a relay clicking but the rear window is not heating on either side. my mirrors however are heating up. i have checked the one fuse under the hood(30amp) and it is good. what would be my next step? should i get a multi-meter and see if i am getting any power to the rear window? any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

**if this is not the right spot for this post please move to the correct one. i wasn't really sure where to post. Thank you**

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
Check the plugs back on the glass itself. I had the same symptoms and I found that one of the plugs was barely hanging on.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have a 2003 yukon xl and my rear defrost is not working. when i push the button the light comes on and i can hear what i believe is a relay clicking but the rear window is not heating on either side. my mirrors however are heating up. i have checked the one fuse under the hood(30amp) and it is good. what would be my next step? should i get a multi-meter and see if i am getting any power to the rear window? any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

**if this is not the right spot for this post please move to the correct one. i wasn't really sure where to post. Thank you**

I have EXACTLY the same issue.

I checked the rear connections on the glass and all seems connected well and the connections appear to be clean. However, still does not work.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

So a few other folks have asked about the same problem recently and since I finally had some free time to relax instead of working a ton tonight I went out to my truck to check voltage on my rear window! Please keep in mind that my denali is a 2002 so it might be different in the 03-06's.

So with my rear defrost switch on I was getting 10.4v at the passenger side power plug on the window and the drivers side I was getting .9v. Didn't matter if the window was open or not (which surprised me). I used the tie downs in the back as my ground (might take a bit of scratching around on the bolt head to make a good ground contact but it did work) and obviously used the positive end on the tabs on the window. And yes, my rear window defrost works great!! lol

Hope this helps a bit, let me know what you find out with your truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCUSA